CM4 Nathan Dooley Feedback Map

1. What did you think of the Syllabus? Was it helpful?

The syllabus was a great way of introducing the class to how this course will be different from a traditional online course.
It was quite helpful, even though I have been through a course like this, this syllabus helped me adjust to the different layout from the initial experience I had.

1. What did you think of the Textbook? Recommended Reading/Books? Were they helpful?

They are quite helpful I am enjoying running through the book along side this course.  The other resources look interesting as well, and I plan on aquiring them at somepoint either by the end of this course or in the near future.

1. What did you think of the How-To Videos? Were they helpful?

Yes,  I enjoy the how-to-videos a lot!  I am more of a hands on learner so having the videos with description helps my thought process and retention of what needs to be done.

1. What do you think of Plectica?

It is great, I have started to empliment this program at my work, and the administration there has enjoyed the visual aspect to help our new hires.

1. What are your expectations for Tableau?

Not for sure yet, I still need to take some time to play with the software and get comfortable with it.

1. What do you think of Rationaleonline.com?

I like rationaleonline, I was expecting a little bit more with the free version then it allows.  I might get the full version to try on my blog.  I think with this being my first attempt at a blog it could come in handy.

1. Did you use Thinkquiry? If so, was it helpful?

Yes, I used Thinkquiry a lot the first course with Dr. Jamie Schwandt and viewing it agian helped refresh my memory and apply DSRP.

1. What do you think of ST v2.0 (DSRP)?

ST v2.0 gave a great introduciton into the concept of DSRP, and seemed more fluid than the first time I was introduced to it.

1. What do you think of the new concepts introduced?

With each concept my perspective gets tranformed, and I become open minded toward the topics that are covered. Not only do they create a bigger perspective but more answers are revealed along side much more questions

1. What are your thoughts on Lean Six Sigma? Is it a career path you would be interested in pursuing?

I thought Lean Six Sigma was an interesting topic to learn about. I had heard of the subject but had never known what it was or about. I would like to get into Lean Six Sigma as a career path, but I think it could be applied to almost anything.

1. What did you think of the Pyramid Principle?

I think this principle can be utilized in the creation of our blogs and essays.  I tend to get caught up in many thoughts all at once, and having this framework helps to adjust the material to the topic or subject at hand.

1. What do you think of Knowledge Transfer?

This comes in to play with my work on a daily basis.  Many organizations should be doing this, but when it comes to healthcare such as the physical therapy clinic that I work at it is vital for us to pass along our diagnosis and treatment plans for patients to doctor’s, patient’s family, or other clinics needing to know precautions.

1. What are your initial thoughts on Swarm Learning?

Like I have stated the first go around, I was “confused, then angry, then intrigued, excited.”  For this go around I was ready, since the first time I have tried veiwing my life, work in a swarm learning manner.  I believe I personally learn best in this manner.   I don’t struggle to achieve personal goals now that I know how to go about reaching them in a way that works for me.

1. What did you think of the barriers of learning?

The barriers did not seem as intense this go around.  They are still there it was just much easy for me to see them, anticipate, and adjust accordingly.  With all the classmates perspectives to grasp it is hard to find a reason to be stuck on a barrier.  Yes they can be intense sometimes, but since the first time I am able to acknowlegde they are there and continue with less added stress.

1. What did you think of the Stable Datum?

The idea of grabbing one idea flying through the air and having that as the starting point I can really relate to.  With my work it tends to get crazy with so many things I have to do for the patient’s and therapists to continue doing treatment.  Once I focus on that one thing the rest tends to follow.

1. What did you think of the first assignment (CM1)

This first map really helped everyone get comfortable with the idea of Swarm Learning and the idea’s of how the class should go.

1. What did you think of CM2?

Running through the US health care system was allowing me to see different points in our healthcare I never saw before.  Also the presentation of plectica was quite fun to make and play around with.

1. What did you think of EM3? And do you plan on writing a blog? Why or why not?

I liked getting the beginning points of our blogs/essays done early that way we know what to start looking forward too.  I plan on writting a blog, and not just for the extra credit, but because I have always wanted to start developing somesort of blog experience that could later develop into something towards my career or personal development.

1. Does it help knowing that students from this class (and others) have published blogs.

Yes, I will alwasy remember Wesley Cooper.  Students like him and the ones in the facebook group still are great sources to reach out to and pick their brains about topics.

1. What do you think of this assignment (FM4)? What are your thoughts on providing feedback that can change a class in progress? Have you ever been asked from an instructor before (throughout the class, not just at the end)?

I have been asked by you, from the first course.  I enjoyed our 2 hour class interaction with in the first course of mine.  I hope to see more of that as well.  This form of feedback is great to get our thoughts out in a detailed manner.

1. What are your thoughts on the extra credit opportunities (e.g. blog, Facebook, and first to post)?

Many professors do not give extra credit, and I believe in regards to this course and the way it is being presented extra credit is great to give.  It allows for that little extra push for some students to try something out side of comfort, and possibly find a skill they never thought they would have.

1. Are you a member of the Facebook group?

YYYEESSS, I love the facebook group.  It is a form of connectiveness with the other students in the class that many other online courses do not have.

1. Do you think the Facebook group is useful? Why or why not?

Useful.  The prior students and current students post out of interest in the topics and subjects, not just because it is an assignment.  You can actually sense that they have something interesting to them and yourself to share.

1. What do you think of the WordPress Learning Community? Is it better than blackboard? Why or why not?

Fort this type of course I believe it is wonderful.  If the professors that use blackboard were totransition into a teaching style such as this it would work better in wordpress.  If they want to keep the layout of a typical online class then blackboard may be better for that.  I guess it just depends on how much feedback and interaciton the profession wants in the course.

1. Take me through your thoughts and emotions as you started this course……where are you now?

This time has been different, 1;  I have gone back to work full time. 2; expecting baby #2, and 3; adjusting to 10-12 hour work days with family time.  I would say my thoughts and emotions for this course are “thankful, curiousity, enjoyment.”  This has been a good steady likable course, which I knew it would be from the beginning.

1. What are your thoughts of the instructor using Tableau to grade and sharing the Student Dashboard?

I have not had the chance to become comfortable with Tableau, though I intend too.  It seems a bit different being able to see everyone elses grade.  This may also help though in a competive nature for some and a safe guard for others.

1. What are your expectations moving forward?

My expectations are to adjust to my work schedule to have more time with family and develop my bog outline.  The course itself I can see will develop everyones outlook on Healthcare admin.

1. What would you like to see change?

Add a live class interactive plectica map, I really liked the collaboration of this technique.

1. What is one thing you love?

I love the wordpress posts.  This has become smoother since the first course with swarm learning.

1. What is one thing you hate?

Right now just the rationale limitation, but I will likely upgrade to develop my blog.

1. What can the instructor do immediately to make the class better?

Put out a few short facebook posts in regards to whatever you want.  Get some engagement between group members and connectiveness.

Plectica Map: https://www.plectica.com/maps/XE00ZPL70

Map is the bottom Right.

2 thoughts on “CM4 Nathan Dooley Feedback Map

1. Hi Nathan,

I thought it was funny that you got “angry” after confusion about Swarm Learning 🙂 I think we all went through all kinds of emotions at the beginning of this class and being introduced to new learning concepts. It made me very uncomfortable also! But I am glad that we have you to encourage us since you have taken a previous class from Dr. Schwandt and sharing with us your honest experience and thoughts.

Best Regards to your studies, work, and growing family.
    Josefina Howard

2. Nathan,
    Congrats on baby #2! I will admit, I was really curious to read your map as you are the first student of mine to take two of my classes.