Lori McConnaughy CM1

What is your name?

Lori McConnaughy

Are you a graduate student? 

Yes, this is my first year of the MBA program.

Where are you from? city, state, country

Hays, KS 

Why did you enroll in this class?

I currently work for the largest county mental health agency in Kansas as the office manager of our medical office. I would like to eventually move up into a role within administration and to do so will require a master’s. This class coincides with my career goals.

Have you heard of my class and/or teaching methodology?

No, I have not. I am interested to learn something new and different from the status quo.

What are your initial thoughts?

What did I get myself into? I am not going to lie, I am nervous and feel very overwhelmed after reading the requirements of my full-time course load this semester. I hope I can keep up with the demand and perform at the level that I expect from myself.

What are your expectations of this course?

I hope to walk away with a deeper understanding of healthcare administration and what that actually looks like in practice, as well as, the knowledge to use some newer software to share and utilize at work.

Did you sign up for the FHSU Promo Free Plectica Account?

Yes, I did

Did you sign up for the 1-year Tableau Student License?

Yes, I did. This is the second time that I have signed up for a student license so I was very thankful that it worked again. I never was able to put it to use the last time so I am looking forward to some instruction in it’s use.

Link to Plectica Map:

https://www.plectica.com/maps/U21GE14CY

3 thoughts on “Lori McConnaughy CM1

1. Hi Lori,

Congrats and best wishes on your first year of MBA! I am very interested in working in the medical/healthcare human services field. Like you, I have experience in serving people with mental challenges, and I have been exploring options on how I can work in the hospital system. MBA programs intimidate me 🙂

I can relate to your reaction to this courses’ requirements listed in the syllabus! I chose this class, thinking that the load would be light, and the learning curve would be simple. I am currently working as a Special Ed Instructional Assistant, and I needed a class that would not demand so much! I was overwhelmed when I read the syllabus! However, after creating my first map, I actually thought that I would probably enjoy utilizing all the tools that Dr. Schwandt requires us to use in this class 🙂

I hope to interact with you more!

Best regards,
    Josefina Howard

2. Lori,
    Great job! You will be fine. I recommend reading Nathan Dooley’s remarks.
    By the way, I currently live in Wichita as well. Oh, and I loved the meme and the movie Dazed and Confused!

Respectfully,
    Dr. Schwandt

3. Lori,

Congratulations on pursuing your MBA! Wishing you all the best. As our professor says, I believe we will be fine even though I too was unsure where the introduction to the course was taking us, but it is on par with my goal for this year anyway which is to step out of my own comfort zone more often than not. So, here we go! I’d like to comment that your map was fun to look at, and even felt more engaging as you added your own humor to it. I am inspired to get more creative with my next one thanks to you. Best of luck with all your endeavors.