Lara Newman CM2: Waypoint Presentation

Here is my interpretation of this weeks assignment!

What is health care administration?

Health care administration consists of leadership and management within a health care system. It is the same concept as health care management. These are the individuals that are leaders within our hospitals and hospital networks. Those leaders are the individuals that are dedicated to providing the best possible care to their patients. Health care administration also consists of programs that help teach and promote healthier communities. We worked with management within a hospital that implemented Cerner on creating a healthier community. The project was called Healthy Nevada for those of you that are familiar with Nevada, MO.

What is a system view of the US Health care industry?

The system views the US Health care industry as an extremely complex system. It helps break down the industry to provide a better understanding. The systems view includes a value chain and a bureaucracy. This view believes the hospital and the physicians are the centers of the health care industry, and those individuals rely heavily on consumers/patients, while the suppliers, buyers, regulators, and public health agencies rely on the hospitals, physicians, and the other sources included in the circle in figure 1.1 (pg. 10).

What distinctions are you seeing in the systems view?

The health care system is so complex. There are so many moving parts to it that managers have to be aware of to successfully manage their departments within health care organizations. A few distinctions that stuck out to me were around the relationships and dependencies buyers, suppliers, and patients have with one another, as well as the type of power the market has on the health care industry.

Suppliers and buyers are dependent on the number of patients’ physicians see, as well as the services they offer and perform. A hospital that performs more device implantations will ultimately help buyers and suppliers. I also noticed that the system viewpoints out that the market tends to drive some of the regulations within health care, and then consolidation of nongovernmental sectors within the industry.

What distinctions are you not seeing?

I don’t feel like the patient and physician relationships are really discussed within the system view and how much we rely on outpatient services nowadays. Our society is very big on bedside manner. Physicians rely on reviews that are left for them online. I would have liked to see more of a direct line between the physicians and patients.

Our health care industry is becoming big within the outpatient care space. There are all types of outpatient service buildings being built to accommodate the advances we have seen in medicine that allow major procedures to now to be outpatient procedures. Some hospitals rely heavily on the revenue they receive from outpatient services (infusions, clinic visits, and OT).

How would you distinguish between regulators and public health agencies

Regulators are different agencies and bodies that live at the state and federal level. They focus on regulating health within the workplaces, while public health agencies focus more on the science of actually protecting and improving health within people and their different communities.

Can you compare and contrast suppliers and buyers?

Buyers and suppliers are dependent on one another. They are both involved in the process of health care facilities receiving finished goods and services. The hospital and different departments are all dependent on the buyer and suppliers doing their jobs. They depend on the buyer of the entity to obtain the products needed, and they depend on the supplier to provide those goods and services the buyer is needing to purchase for the departments/hospital. They are both focused on resources and their cash investments. Buyers are dependent on financial variables. They work with different reimbursement methods from various payers, as well as out-of-pocket costs individuals may endure, while suppliers are more dependent on the demand for certain products. Suppliers depend on hospital, physician, consumer, and patient needs.

What is organizational design?

It is a methodology or a type of structure that aligns specific items to the organizations’ vision and goals. The design can differ depending on the organization. The organizational design allows organizations to align roles with responsibilities, processes, and structure. It allows them to develop plans to implement change across the organization.

Explain and describe how empowerment involves directed autonomy?

Empowerment allows there to be a common goal in place while allowing people to accomplish goals as they see fit. It allows organizations to increase productivity and within their organization without making workers feel disrespected. Empowerment also encourages creativity amongst employees and allows them to increase performance by allowing individuals to feel like they can make informed and uncoerced decisions. It makes employees feel like they have a say.

https://www.plectica.com/maps/6GCKOIVBV?present=1

4 thoughts on “Lara Newman CM2: Waypoint Presentation

1. Hi Lana,

Your Waypoint presentation is nicely done, brief, and simple! I have yet to experiment with swirls and floating design.

Thanks for sharing about Cerner and Healthy Nevada! I have no experience in health care management so they are new to me. I Googled Cerner and learned more about the system you are talking about. I also visited https://healthynv.org; very informative and interesting resource about genetic testing in Nevada!

Best Regards,
    Josefina Howard

2. Hello Lara,

I love the flow of the map, it is easy to follow along while also seeing the flare of your own perspective in it. I feel as though much of what you covered is what I personally feel/think of when reading the text, but just can not find a flow of words to express it. Thank you for this awesome map and word choice in explaining the questions. This is just one reason why I love this kind of online collabration.

Keep up the great work.

3. Lara,
    I thought your presentation was really well done! I liked how you showed the relationship while comparing and contrasting the buyer/supplier relationship.
    I appreciated you noticing that the outpatient services were not very distinct in the systems view. Systems view has to simplify and group things, and I understand that, but I wish they would have gone into detail about the outpatient clinics!
    Really great job on the presentation!