Introduction

Hello my name is JoEllen Key I have been a nurse for almost four years. I worked inpatient stroke and medicine unit for a year and have been working at the VA as an outpatient behavioral health nurse for almost the past 3 years. I love what I do and serving the population that we work with. We are not doing face to face visits right now and I really miss seeing our patients. I have a wonderful boyfriend and two amazing kiddos that keep us very busy. In addition to the kids we also have two fur babies.

I feel like in my current role we use evidenced based practice a lot to guide our patient care. We frequently read and utilize different techniques to get patients whose mental health is suffering to encourage them to seek services and to stay engaged in those services. We look at the statistics of suicide rates or attempts and different research on how to lower those numbers. We also stay up to date on the current research de-escalation techniques as they are something we use frequently for our and our patients safety.

2 Responses

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, JoEllen!

2. aglakin at |

I love that you work for the VA. I am a Marine wife and sister. My husband served 13 years,and my brother served 8 years. Anything to do with veterans has a special place in my heart especially mental health. I have seen first hand what effects war can have on our military. My brothers girlfriend works for the Palo Alto California VA as a psychologist and she loves the work she does. She finds it rewarding. We have had many conversations about the lack of access to mental health help for our veterans. There are far more veterans who need help than there are providers.