Introduction

Hi, I’m Alyssa. I have been an RN for 3.5 years. I have been in the hospital setting for 6 years, starting form a CNA to an LPN and then an RN. I currently work full time in the Emergency room at a level one trauma center in Wichita, KS. I absolutely love the rush of the ER. I enjoy working side by side with physicians as a team and bouncing ideas off of each other to care for patients.

Research plays a huge role in nursing and specifically emergency nursing. All protocols are made from research. All procedure techniques are formed and reformed from research. With COVID19, physicians and nurses all have relied heavily on research on what to expect from these patients. We have looked things up daily to know the signs and symptoms to the treatment of these patients to prepare ourselves for the unknown.

About me. I have an 8 year old daughter (that is identical to me in every way), and a amazing fiance of 4 years who I met through the hospital. He is a paramedic so you could imagine the conversations at the dinner table that we have. We have one cat, a 1.5 year old dog and we are getting a 7 week old puppy in one week! How exciting! At the pace I have been going, I will complete by Bachelors in December. As if all of this wasn’t enough, I am currently planning our wedding! We were supposed to get married in April but because of COVID it is now in August. You could say I am a glutton for punishment!

I hope everyone has a safe summer!

Image may contain: 3 people, including Tom Patterson and Shade Meyers, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

1. nmbruggman at |

Alyssa,
    First congrats on your wedding! How exciting! I am a trauma nerd and love when they come in. My experience comes from Salina which we often transfer a good amount to you guys. How do you love working at a level one trauma center. Is there a specific area you would rather be in besides ER? Your daughter looks exactly like you! Nice to meet you and hopefully I can get to know you more though out the course!

2. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Alyssa!

3. armcdaris at |

Hi Alyssa. I love that you mentioned one of your favorite things about the ER is bouncing ideas off of your co-workers to figure out how to best care for your patients. Being able to rely on other nurses and learn from each other is such an important aspect of delivering quality nursing care. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to learning with you in this course!