Karen Rush Intro for NURS446

Hi, I am Karen from Colorado.  I have been a registered nurse for 32 years in pediatrics and then mom/baby for the last 18 years. I am seeking a BSN degree because it is recommended for all RNs. I could have taken advantage of a grandfather clause but took on the challenge of returning to school, as I believe it is the right thing to do. I currently work full time on a mom/baby unit.  Evidence based practice and research has been the key to changing the world of nursing and improves patient outcomes. With as long as I have been a nurse, I have witnessed many a change in practice that has affected patient care for the better. A couple of areas of improvement in my practice has come from evidence based research.   I work at a Baby Friendly certified hospital in Colorado. With that designation comes advanced education and implementation of steps to promote and support breastfeeding. I can attest to to fact that many women whom get baby friendly directed care  continue on to successfully breast feed. I also recently joined a hospital task force to reeducate and implement new guidelines for use and care of patients with urinary catheters.  Due to evidence based research, we know specific care steps can reduce risk of infection.  In my free time, I enjoy hiking in the mountains and gardening.  My husband and I have been married 25 years. We have two daughters age 18 and 15.  It has been quite the spring for my daughter that finished high school but did not get a graduation ceremony. I had signed up for this class this last spring but dropped it due to my children having to transition to home schooling for this season in time.  I enjoy outdoors so much that I am a little sad to take a class in summer but I to have a goal to soon be finished with my BSN, so bring on the learning!

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Karen! It’s definitely a challenge to be in school yourself and then suddenly have kids to homeschool (I’m right there with you). This too shall pass 🙂

2. ajrountree at |

Karen,
    The homeschooling was difficult for us too so I’m so glad it’s over and hope the kids can return to the classroom in August. I was kind of sad to take summer classes but like you want to get this BSN done, good luck this semester!!