Introduction

Hey Everyone,

My name is Whitney Battershell.  I have been married for 4 years now about to 5 on June 6th.  I have a fur baby named Scout he is a border collie and he is 6 years old, lazy cuddly and yet also energetic.  We like to be outdoors, hiking and biking is what we like to do the most.  A lot has changed due to covid-19 but we are planning trips now for hiking and biking as soon as possible.

I am a pediatric nurse at Children’s Medical of Plano, TX.  I started working as a nurse in 2014 for adult medical surgical unit.  Worked with adults for about 1.5 years and followed my dreams to become a pediatric nurse after that.  I have been working in pediatrics since 2015.  What inspired me to become a pediatric nurse was caring for young children who have had cancer or are currently in treatment at a camp called Camp Hope.  I have volunteered at this camp for 10 years now.  I was a house parent for 2 years, activities for 3 years, and a nurse for 5 years.  Ever since my first year of volunteering I wanted to become a pediatric oncology nurse, and I have done just that.  I moved to Texas in November for my husbands job, and now work acute care for pediatrics.  Children are my passion and providing the best care for them is very important.  Following best evidence based practice is what is best for all patients.   Working with epic, when placing orders we have policies with information that backs out policy with evidence base practice.  I do catch myself performing everyday cares for patients because it is usually routine.  I need to start thinking for like is this best practice and is this what is best for my patient.  I am excited to learn from this class and become a better nurse, that asks herself is this the best practice?

6 Responses

1. crtownsend2 at |

Hi again Whitney! It is interesting to see that you use Epic in your charting. We currently use Cerner. We have used Cerner inpatient for years but last year we went to Cerner in our outpatient chemotherapy infusion center and it was a nightmare! After about 6 months we had to pull it. Now going to switch to Epic. Always something changing! Good luck to you this semester! Hoping you find a job in Pediatric Oncology again soon since that is where your heart is!

2. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Whitney! Glad to have you.

3. ajrountree at |

Hi Whitney, nice to see you in another class. Happy Anniversary on June 6th, that is my parents Anniversary also. I think it takes a special person be to a pediatric nurse, so glad you are able to work in your dream field. I have a 6 year old border collie also, they are such sweet dogs. Hope you get to go on some trips soon, so ready for Covid-19 to be gone. Good luck this semester, stay safe!

4. nmbruggman at |

Whitney,
    Happy Anniversary! That is so exciting. Living and working in Texas what made you choose Fort Hays State? Do you have any affiliation to Kansas? I think it is awesome how many people in my classes are not here in Kansas! Nice to meet you!