Journal Club

This article came from ARN-Association of Rehabilitation Nurses.

The study investigates the effect of elastic band exercise activities on lower limb rehabilitation in elderly patients exposed to an elastic band exercise intervention 2 and 4 weeks after total knee replacement. A quasi-experimental investigation was conducted. Contributors were recruited from southern Taiwan who were over 65 years old and had a first autonomous total knee replacement for osteoarthritis. The control and experimental groups consisting of 25 patients each. The control group took conventional treatment after a total knee replacement; while, the experimental group participated in elastic band exercises exhibited by instructors. In addition to accepting traditional therapy. The effects of the lower extremity rehab of the two groups were evaluated during 2 and 4 weeks after total knee replacement. Most of the patients that were above 70 years of age, 17 of whom were in the control group (68%) and 16 in the experimental group (64%). The active and passive knee flexion angles of the experimental group were higher than those of the control group (p < .001) 2 and 4 weeks after surgery. The muscle strength of the quadriceps of the experimental group was higher than that of the control group (p < .001) 2 and 4 weeks after surgery. The experimental group displayed a considerably higher physical function than the control group during 2 and 4 weeks after surgery (p < .001). The elastic band exercise system shows favorable effects on boosting the lower limb rehabilitation for elderly patients with total knee arthroplasty.

fishbone_template (1) NURS446

Journal Club Critique Form (1) NURS446

1. camorris6 at |

Total joint replacement can be such a life changing event for so many people. Osteoarthritis seems as though it would pose so many challenges for people, and changing the format for rehabilitation seems as though it adds another layer of enhancement to their lives. This is a very interesting topic to research. I work in surgery and have been a part of the surgical aspect of the total joint replacement process. The procedure alone is remarkable, and the healing process seems equally remarkable. I always found it intriguing that patients are walking within 24 hours of surgery.

2. Tammy Smith at |

Knee replacements are so common, so this is quite an interesting article. This is not my field, but I would imagine it is challenging to provide rehabilitation to the elderly. This particular study is fairly small, so I was curious how it translates to larger groups. I found an article from the Journal of Acute Care Physical Therapy that was a systematic review of thirty-nine studies on the effectiveness of different physical therapy interventions after knee replacement. What they found was inconsistent results between studies. The only consistent result was the use of cryotherapy for pain control and early interventions improving range of motion. They indicate more studies on needed on interventions to improve range of motion and walking. Now, this review was not specific to the elderly population as your article was, but I found it interesting.

Curry, A. L., Goehring, M. T., Bell, J., & Jette, D. U. (2018). Effect of Physical Therapy Interventions in the Acute Care Setting on Function, Activity, and Participation After Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Acute Care Physical Therapy, 1. doi: 10.1097/jat.0000000000000079

3. Sadie Selenke at |

It is amazing that something as simple as exercises with an elastic band postoperatively can make such a difference. The recovery phase for elderly patients after total knee replacements can be more difficult simply because the muscles and bones in the body at that age may be weaker. I’m not familiar with what exercises are typically used during rehab for total knee replacement patients, but using elastic bands would make it easier for these patients to partake in a home exercise program instead of having to go to an actual rehab facility to use machines each time. It could be more cost effective for patients instead of having to pay a co-pay at each visit during physical therapy. I also wonder how pain control postoperatively with the use of the elastic bands in rehab. Great article!