EFFECTIVENESS OF INCENTIVE SPIROMETERS

My research poster is on the effectiveness of incentive spirometers in preventing postoperative pulmonary complications.  The purpose of the research was to determine whether the routine use of incentive spirometers alone is effective in preventing postoperative pulmonary complications in adult inpatient populations.

Incentive Spirometer Poster

1. ddrohrbaugh at |

This was an interesting an informative poster. I’ve never really questioned the usefulness of incentive spirometers and promote their use with most of my patients. I think this comes from an experience in my first year of nursing when a surgeon was adamant that all of his patients must have one and use it. My stepfather was recently released from the hospital after pneumonia. I was concerned that he didn’t have one so I ordered on from Amazon and made him use it, because in my mind that was just what you did. I’ve never actually looked at research regarding their effectiveness. I just believed that you HAD to have one. Thanks for the learning opportunity!

2. wagresham at |

This was very informative! I knew what the incentive spirometer was but always wondered how much it really does help patients.• Incentive spirometer, deep breathing, early ambulation, oral
    care, and having the head of bed above 30 degrees, reduced the risk of postoperative pulmonary complications such as pneumonia and unintended intubation (Cassidy, 2013). You poster was very informative and really educated me. Good job!

Cassidy, R.M., Rosenkranz, P., McCabe, K.,Rosen, E.J., &
    McAneny, D. (2013).I COUGH:Reducing postoperative pulmonary
    complications with a multidisciplinary patient care program.
    Journal of American Medical Association Surgery, 148(8), 740–745.
    doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2013.358

3. wagresham at |

This was very informative! I knew what the incentive spirometer was but always wondered how much it really does help patients.• Incentive spirometer, deep breathing, early ambulation, oral care, and having the head of bed above 30 degrees, reduced the risk of postoperative pulmonary complications such as pneumonia and unintended intubation (Cassidy, 2013). You poster was very informative and really educated me. Good job!

doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2013.358

4. Duke Onkoba at |

I agree using an incentive spirometer is an essential postoperative tool for teaching patients to maximize lung capacity after surgery. It can also be used to teach patients effective breathing by learning to take slow, deep breaths, especially for patients with lung disease.