Kennedy Terminal Ulcer Prevention through therapeutic support surfaces

My research poster was on utilizing therapeutic support surfaces in the end of life to decrease incidents of Kennedy terminal ulcers. The information that I obtained was fascinating and very difficult to hone down into one small poster.  NURS446 Poster

4 Responses

1. Duke Onkoba at |

This is a great topic. Tissue offloading is one of the most important interventions for pressure ulcer prevention. I agree that therapeutic support surfaces are a critical component of this intervention. Especially for patients who have decreased bed mobility.

2. camorris6 at |

This is such an important topic to discuss, and educate nursing staff and students about. I did not realize there were so many deaths attributed to pressure ulcers. To me this is an alarming number, and more preventative steps must be taken to prevent these deaths. Your poster was well organized, and easy to understand and read. I had to look closely at your pictures though to determine what the subject matter was. Overall, it was a great poster full of interesting and educational information.

3. nahendrix at |

Hmmm. Very interesting. There is contradicting information on this. The Kennedy Terminal Ulcer is an **unavoidable** skin breakdown or skin failure that occurs as part of the dying process. Research is limited but the literature suggests that Kennedy Terminal Ulcers are typically pear-shaped, red/yellow/black, similar in appearance to an abrasion, and tend to occur suddenly in the sacral/coccygeal region not long before death (usually death with in 24 hours.) The articles I read stated it was different than a pressure sore and it was thought to be the shunting of bloody away from the skin as it dies – skin failure – no longer adequately supply blood to the skin and tissues that occurs during the dying process. It was named after Karen Lou Kennedy, FNP back in 1983. Kennedy ulcers can develop in areas that are not over bony-prominence. Although, I agree to great nursing interventions and prevention is the best treatment for pressures sores. Do you work hospice? Is this something you see a lot? Thanks for the information!