Entrepreneur Profile – Tiffany Warren

Plectica Map: https://www.plectica.com/maps/FL66L94DN

I am choosing to do my blog on Red Piston because they in business in doing mobile applications which is something that I am interested in and the reason I went back to college in preparation of retiring from my current corporation in another six years. I would hope to find a company like Red Piston to work for. Maybe, Red Piston will hire me and let me work remotely since I do not want to move to Canada.

To give a little insight into Red Piston as a start up company in 2010. The three co-founders that found themselves jobless with the closing of the company that they all worked for. The co-founders are Andy Kale, Ali Al-Aasm, and Jakub Koter “all worked at BBDO Windsor, working on Interactive projects for Chrysler Jeep and Dodge Canada.” (Wilson, 2010) After the company closed their doors the three co-founders decided to collaborate and become partners in forming Red Piston.

Red Piston specializing in building innovative iPhone applications. Red Piston skills not only lie in clean interface design for iPhone, however, range the full gamut of multimedia design. Red Piston creates apps in the medical and gaming categories. The apps that are still currently active on iTunes are Dave and Chuck’s Arcade, Leggett and Platt Automotive, Sweet Tweets Designer, Cutepolish, Polish Blast by cutepolish, Social Snap – Watermark and Brand Photos, Humble and Fred Radio, and The Drive Magazines.

Prior to Red Piston all three co-founders developed and released apps on the side. Their focus is on clean, simple, easy-to-use interfaces. Their passion is to make apps and products that make complicated tasks easy. Companies that share a similar philosophy are Braun, Ikea, Apple.

Co-founder Andy Kale was 36 years old when he helped to start up this company. His prediction for the future of your business is that we will continue to evolve and stay at the forefront of the next-generation technologies, building great products and providing significant job growth to help diversify the local economy. The toughest part about being an entrepreneur is the long hours and trying to balance family and work. The best thing about being an entrepreneur is turning an idea into reality. This applies not only to what we do daily – take our clients’ or our own ideas and make them into functioning apps and web sites, but also helping the business grow. Three tips or advice for aspiring entrepreneurs is find something you love and dive in; surround yourself with great people; hire attitude – train skill (of course hiring skilled people with great attitudes is ideal!) Best career success is having the opportunity to work with major brands. (Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, 2012)

Co-founder Ali Al-Aasm was 30 years old when he helped to start up this company. His prediction for the future of your business was we will continue to evolve and stay at the forefront of the next-generation technologies, building great products and providing significant job growth to help diversify the local economy. The toughest part about being an entrepreneur is finding the balance between doing what you must do to be successful and also spending time with people you enjoy like friends and family. The best thing about being an entrepreneur is being in control of your own destiny. When you are an entrepreneur you are in the driver’s seat, the amount of effort that you put in usually equates to the amount of reward coming out of your venture; it’s exciting and scary at times but if you fail you have no one to blame but yourself. Three tips or advise for aspiring entrepreneurs is to work hard and smart; look for people to offset your

weaknesses and fill gaps in your business; meet people and do not be afraid to team up with others. Best career success is getting to realize my dreams and work on cool things like games. (Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, 2012)

Co-founder Jakub Koter was 27 years old when he helped to start up this company. His prediction for the future of your business is that we will always be on the cutting edge, we love new technologies and using these technologies to help other businesses, to entertain and create awesome products. The toughest part about being an entrepreneur is the late hours, working late, not enough hours in a day and finding the right balance of working hard and living life. The best thing about being an entrepreneur is the best reward for me, is when people use our product and love it. It could be a game that puts a smile on someone’s face when they are bored or a B2B solution that enhances the productivity of a certain process. Three tips or advice for aspiring entrepreneurs is do what you love and do it better than anyone else. Make sure you spend less than what you make. Network. Best career success is creating the app called Mind Wave, which was featured all over the world. (Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, 2012)

To me it seems most entrepreneurs that we have studied in class are very similar that they have done start ups while in college or just after college or for these three men they had careers with another business before even deciding to do a startup. It was when they all lost their jobs did the decide to do this. As with all start ups it takes a lot of guts to start a business, especially without accruing a lot of cost when you are at first not making any. As I am an older student, I do not ever see myself starting up a new business. I want to be hired and paid, I like the idea of creating but need my weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly paychecks to depend on. I do not want to wonder where my next meal will be coming from and I do not want to live on ramen soup three times a day. Plus, I am not comfortable with talking to group so I would be awful at trying to get an investor to buy into my idea. I appreciate the concepts that have been taught in this class but it is not something I will pursue in the future.

Works Cited

Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre. (2012, April 5). Local Entrepreneur Profile: Red Piston. Retrieved from We Tech Alliance: https://www.wetech-alliance.com/2012/04/05/local-entrepreneur-profile-red-piston/

n/a. (n/a). We are Red Piston. Retrieved from Red Piston: https://www.redpiston.com/

Wilson, B. (2010, April 12). Red Piston Interview. Retrieved from Inspiredology: https://inspiredology.com/red-piston-interview/

Published by

Tiffany Warren

I am an older student with two adult daughters that are 23 and 19 years old. I am living with cancer but try to keep my spirits up and continue with my long-term goals. In five years, I will have thirty years of service with the company I work for now and plan on retiring at that time. I am attending college to help battle chemo brain. At times it does seem to help.