Research Poster- Sleep Quality in the ICU

Research Poster 446 Fearn

I chose to do my research poster on sleep quality in the Intensive Care Unit.  Patients in the ICU frequently deal with poor sleep, which can lead to or be correlated with poor outcomes.  I chose to research the outcome of a uniform sleep bundle on sleep quality.

1. danavarro at |

Sleep is crucial in all settings including the ICU. Nightingale’s Environmental theory closely relates to your topic. Your poster is easy to follow. Promoting better quality sleep is an important intervention. Thanks for the nursing tips to implement better sleep for the patients.

2. tsholloman at |

Hello Vmfearn, really enjoyed your poster it was very interesting and informative. Sleep is essential for health no matter what the diagnosis is. Often we forger how important sleep/rest is to our daily health and how we generally feel. Patients that have critical illness is a time of extreme vulnerability for patients, and the important role sleep may play in recovery for intensive care unit (ICU) patients (Crit.Care Med,2015). ICU patients are experiencing so many different changes in the body systems to the treatments and alteration associated with the care needed, that the effect of sleep is essential to the recovery time and process for these patients. At the LTACH I currently work at its a role that patients should get at least 90 minutes of uninterrupted sleep/rest to enhance a positive outcome and help reserve energy needed for them to be able to do activities needed during the day.

Reference: Pisani, M. A., Friese, R. S., Gehlbach, B. K., Schwab, R. J., Weinhouse, G. L., & Jones, S. F. (2015). Sleep in the intensive care unit. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine, 191(7), 731–738. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201411-2099CI

3. mtrogers3 at |

Your poster was great. Your summary of the articles was clear as well as your overall summary of the 5 studies, in which you stated that more research needs to be conducted as there was no sleep bundle that showed significant improvements in sleep or quality of sleep.

I found this quote in your article interesting: “the evidence demonstrated that psychological factors played a bigger role in sleep disturbances”. I would have to say that in my own experiences with patients, this seems to be the greatest issue in sleep disturbances that my patients have reported. The psychological factors that affect sleep would be a harder element for nurses to help with. It would be interesting to look at studies in which healthcare providers were able to impact negative psychological issues in patients and see if those studies might give nurses another tool in their sleep bundle.