Poster Presentation

Hello everyone, I chose to review studies evaluating the efficacy of the early sepsis bundle on patient outcomes. I chose this because it is still an ongoing problem in hospitals and it is important that it gets identified early. I think that nurses and the resources that nurses have are vital to identifying signs of sepsis and nurses also need to understand how important it is to trust themselves when something is wrong with their patients. As you will see on my poster, identification of sepsis comes more often from the nurse. I did use an additional resource dated in 2010, but it was only to cite a historical date, so it was still current information. If anyone has a difficult time opening please let me know! Thanks everyone!

Sepsis Poster

4 Responses

1. kapryce at |

Hi Matthew, I love your presentation. As you stated, sepsis is still an ongoing problem. Sepsis is one of the major causes of death in hospitals. Patients that are more susceptible are the elderly with multiple comorbidities, patients with an indwelling foley catheter and PICC line or Mid-line. I know this because I have been working with geriatric patients over ten years. One thing I always share with my colleagues at work is (prevention is better than cure). As nurses, we need to perform a more diligent thorough assessment of our patients. I know there is a shortage of nurses at many facilities, but proper assessment will help nurses to identify patients who are at risk for sepsis. Early detection and recognition of symptoms will save lives.

2. jlcarter7 at |

Great research! As nurses these protocols give a step by step process to follow. I am more confident in knowing the steps vs going off my education or gut instinct. I like how the bundle makes sepsis treatment standardized for facilities. By improving the sepsis protocol we hope to improve the outcome of our patients which is the ultimate goal. I would like to know if research shows the bundle evolving or expanding with new interventions/steps to further help diagnosis sepsis early.

3. tsholloman at |

Hello Cmatthews, very well put together poster, very informative and easy to fellow as well. Being new to the ICU I’ve learned so much about the use of Sepsis bundle and the different benefits it has to the outcome results for the patient.The actual epidemiology of sepsis is currently unknown and extremely variable, since it will depend on the comprehensive assessment done by the nurse that factors the incidence or prevalence to mortality(RevEspQuimioterapia,2018). Its essential that the sepsis bundles are put in place and followed completely to reduce other risk factors that are associated in the delay of care for individuals that have signs and symptoms that can lead to death in just minutes or hours.

Reference: Candel, F. J., Borges Sá, M., Belda, S., Bou, G., Del Pozo, J. L., Estrada, O., Ferrer, R., González Del Castillo, J., Julián-Jiménez, A., Martín-Loeches, I., Maseda, E., Matesanz, M., Ramírez, P., Ramos, J. T., Rello, J., Suberviola, B., Suárez de la Rica, A., & Vidal, P. (2018). Current aspects in sepsis approach. Turning things around. Revista espanola de quimioterapia : publicacion oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Quimioterapia, 31(4), 298–315.