Journal Club: ICU Recent Research Article

MR fishbone_template

MR Journal Club Critique Form

In this study Byrum et al. (2020) developed the ADT-SMAT, which was based on elements of The Synergy Model, “to quantify the intensity of patient care monitoring and interventions in order to incorporate the complexity and variability of patients’ responses and to capture nurses’ critical thinking and intuition. The ADT-SMAT combines the intimacy of the relationship with the patient and the patients characteristics with the complexity of the nurses work in maintaining patient stability” (Byrum et al, 2020, p.62). ). The ADT-SMAT is a tool that could be used by nurses during patient care to facilitate the use of The Synergy Model developed by the AACN to “quantify and standardize patient characteristics in determining the appropriate level of care associated with admission, discharge, and transfer decisions” (Byrum et al, 2020, p.69), and would “enable evidence-based staffing decisions to optimize the match of nursing competencies with patients’ needs (Byrum et al., p.66). After analyzing the data the researchers found that the ADT-SMAT, “demonstrates strong internal consistency when the same patients were scored independently by 2 critical care RNs” (Byrum et al., 2020, p.69).   The researchers concluded that more testing is needed to test the construct validity of the descriptive elements included in the Synergy Model and to see how accurately the scores can predict the actual care level needs of patients especially when determining if a patient is ready to transfer to another unit for a lower level of care.

8 Responses

1. danavarro at |

Determining transfer and discharge criteria in the ICU is challenging. I can understand how more testing is needed to test the construct validity of this study.

Sanson et al. (2020) investigated whether nursing complexity upon ICU discharge is an independent predictor for adverse events. The Patient Acuity and Complexity Score (PACS) was developed to measure nursing complexity (Sanson et al., 2020). Its predictive power was tested and was determined to have a very good discrimination power (Sanson et al., 2020). The level of nursing complexity independently predicts risk of adverse effects and should be considered in establishing patient’s eligibility (Sanson et al., 2020).

This was the only study I could find that discussed similar subjects. This study was limited to transfers and discharges and did not discuss admission criteria into the ICU. Additionally, it focused on adverse effects rather than patient characteristics and nurse skill set.

The availability and usefulness of this acuity tool hopefully will allow charge nurses to better “match” patients with the right nurse or as you mentioned at least make it easier to determine if the patient’s acuity is so high that a one-to-one is required. I never would have known that there would even be a study about this.

Sanson, G., Marino, C., Valenti, A. Lucangelo, U., & Berlot, G. (2020, February 14). Is my patient ready for a safe transfer to a lower intensity care setting? nursing complexity as an independent predictor of adverse events risk after ICU discharge. Heart & Lung. https://www.heartandlung.org/article/S0147-9563(20)30015-7/fulltext

2. Tammy Smith at |

To be honest, it took me a bit to figure out what this article was about based on the summary. This is a field that is very different than what I’m in, so I wasn’t familiar with the terms. Now that I’m caught up this is a great topic. I wasn’t aware there were tools available to help assess patient needs and staff competencies in order to pair them appropriately. This made me wonder what, if any, options were available other than the one presented in the article. The Complexity Assessment and Monitoring to Ensure Optimal Outcomes (CAMEO) is another tool that was used to quantify patient acuity relating to nursing skill set (Connor et al., 2019). This study created an adapted version called the CAMEO II for the pediatric ICU. They did indicate that further research is needed to assess use across multiple sites. I can see how the ADT-SMAT or CAMEO can help to improve patient care. Thank you for the great information.

Connor, J. A., Lagrasta, C., Gauvreau, K., Porter, C., Oʼbrien, K., & Hickey, P. A. (2019). Scaling the Measurement of Pediatric Acuity Using the Complexity Assessment and Monitoring to Ensure Optimal Outcomes (CAMEO II) Tool. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 38(3), 146–152. doi: 10.1097/dcc.0000000000000356

3. awkaaya at |

Although the study shows positive results, it needs more extensive research in different settings. This research must take further action to prove the results to be valid. Berke & Ecklunc (2002) explained that there several ways to measure the level of care for patients. Using acuity systems and patient classification systems can also describe the patients’ traits and requirements. Through a collaborative effort in management and nurse staffing, each type of acuity system can provide objectivity to staffing needs. A comprehensive strategic plan of care involves regulated examining processes and techniques of risk management, proactive approaches or guidelines, and constant supervision of possible patient care cases or quality indicators. The various acuity systems will help to determine patients’ level of care, thus furthering the study’s purpose and need.
    Berke, W. J., & Ecklunc, M. M. (2002). Keep pace with step-down care. Nursing Management, 33(2), 26-29. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.fhsu.edu:2048/10.1097/00006247-200202000-00012

4. tsholloman at |

This study was very interesting to me and how this method is used. I never heard of it before but it appears to be a very good tool to use and it could only improve the outcome of the patient and their experience during their hospital stay along with staffing assignments as well. From the information I was able to obtain from other research is that When the competencies and characteristics of the nurse match the needs of the patient (physical, psychosocial, and spiritual), synergy occurs and optimal outcomes are achieved.(Am J Crit Care (2020)p.70)This method will also improve the rate of nursing shortage that continue to be a big issue in healthcare today. If nurses are more competent in a certain area they will excel in that area due to it being something there interested in and most importantly allow them to connect more with the patients.

Cain.C.DNP,RN,CNS,CCRN.(2020). Applying the Synergy Model to Achieve Safe Staffing. American Journal Critical Care.29(1):70 doi.org/10.4037/ajcc2020323