1. kapryce at |

Case study 1stated, the investigators are analyzing race differences on HIV positive test results from anonymous demographic data collected at the point of service for initial testing. I analyzed the case and totally agree with your decision in regard to the research that it is eligible base on the standard of the IRB. Your supporting document (Retrospective Medical Review) has proven that the information was base on fact which has been a reliable source. In addition other supporting information in the article had shown to be factual base on the information;“ The desired medical record data is recorded by the investigator in such a way that the patient cannot be identified.(i.e., by the investigator or others) either directly or indirectly via linkage codes assigned to data. This mean that the investigators cannot link names, social security numbers or any other patients identifiers to the data set. As a consequence , the resulting research data set is necessarily completely anonymous. For that reason, once the information has been extracted from the medical record, it will not be possible for the investigator to go back to the medical record and add other, patient-specific information to this research dataset”.

Also the minimal risk that you have addressed in your research of participants and investigators are unbiased. Case study 1 clearly reported that investigators are analyzing race differences in HIV positive test results from anonymous demographic data. It has been demonstrated that HIV individuals have been stigmatized by society, so placing safeguards must be put in place. The retrospective medical review record also confirmed that there is no link between investigators and patients. Other related evidence in Assessing Risks and Potential Benefits and Evaluating Vulnerability article have also showed ; “Risk to subject are minimized: (I) by using procedure which are consistent with sound research design and which do not unnecessarily expose subjects to risk, and (ii) whenever appropriate, by using procedures already being performed on the subjects for diagnostic or treatment purpose”.

As a result of case study 1, I believe the research was beneficial to society, researchers, and participants. According to report from chapter 4 in Assessing Risks and Potential Benefits and Evaluating Vulnerability article stated that, society will gain understanding about treatments and cure. Researcher will be able to identify potential risk and treatments needed for society to survive and participants would receive clinical information, standard treatments or intervention that will improve their health status.

Base on the information from the articles I am convince that your analysis is factual.

References

Chapter 4: Assessing Risks and Potential Benefits and Evaluating Vulnerability (Research Involving Human Participants V1). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.onlineethics.org/cms/8033.aspx

University of Pittsburgh University Marketing Communications Webteam. (n.d.). Retrospective Medical Record Review. Retrieved from https://www.irb.pitt.edu/retr ospective-medical-record-review

1. kapryce at |

Hi Igbergman. I did not found anything on minorities, but during further research I realized a few unethical behaviors. Properly controlled studies with human subjects are vital to identify conclusion and prevent unethical research. Apparently not all clinical research is ethical. Researchers
      have the responsibility to protect the life of each participant and know when to draw the line. Researchers need to understand and practice the code of ethics so that participants feel safe. The IRB video discusses about an institution that falsifies and fabricates documents. This unethical behavior leads to questionable premature death of two subjects. This happens because researchers did not follow protocol. Unethical research can be preventable if investigators and clinical coordinators adhere to IRB protocol and other ethical review committees. According to Chapter 3: Methods for Ensuring Protection: Education, Certification, and Accreditation “ protecting the rights and welfare of research participants is the major ethical obligation of all parties in the oversight system, who, to meet this obligation, must demonstrate competence in research ethics by being able to conduct, review or oversee research involving human participants in an ethically sound manner”.
      Technology also plays a great role to minimize harm to participants. Technology creates an easy guideline to both investigators and human subjects. Researchers have access through internet networks and other mobile devices that can deliver safe and effective communication. Technology reduces health disparities and protect health information of individuals.

Human subject research. (2020, January 18). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_subject_research

Ly, S., & Magee, W. P. (2017, April 7). Annals of Global Health. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aogh.2017.03.005

2. Tammy Smith at |

I agree with you in that the exempt level of review is most appropriate based on the definitions from John Carroll University Institutional Review Board Exempt Research Categories. It appears the research falls under Exempt 4 because it uses identifiable private information about biospecimens that has bene de-identified.
    I do disagree with some of the benefits to the participant you listed. Can you better explain how the individual benefits from the study results in regard to testing and trends? I’d like to better understand your perspective. I do agree with the benefits to the researcher and society as well as the risks. I believe you have a well thought out and thorough post. I look forward to your response.

Exempt research categories. (n.d.). John Carroll University. http://webmedia.jcu.edu/research/files/2019/01/Exempt-Research-Categories.pdf

3. Tammy Smith at |

Gayle,

Thank you for explaining your thought processes on the benefits to the participant. While I can see where you are coming from, I respectfully disagree with one of the points. Because this is a retrospective review, the anonymity of the data does not factor into the patient’s decision to be tested. The participant does benefit by knowing the results of the test and from the education and treatment planning provided as you said. That is not a result of the study as they would have received the test results and education whether or not they were anonymous participants in the study. I do agree that the study participants would benefit if the data collected leads to improved treatment and treatment plans. Additionally, your points about prevalence rates and monitoring trends is excellent and I agree thoroughly. Thank you for the opportunity to have further discussion on this! It has really made me think and see different perspectives.

4. cmatthews3 at |

I am really enjoying the conversation you two are having concerning the benefit of the study. I completely understand where both of you are coming from. It does benefit the participant on a personal level when the participant gets HIV results (which I assume are low cost or free). They may not have decided to get the testing done otherwise. However, it is not really a benefit to the study. Perhaps if we were more involved in the study we could have a better understanding of how it is conducted. I do agree that if the data was collected retrospectively then the participant could benefit from future treatment plans. I feel that the benefits of this case study outweigh the risk, and that the review would fall under the exempt category. I just also think this study is redundant. Study after study have already targeted populations prone to HIV infections. After information about HIV became available to the population (in the United States), this country has had a decline in new HIV infections up until 2013. After 2013, it has plateaued for 7 years now (CDC, 2020). So I feel a downside to this study, but not a risk necessarily, is that we have numerous studies with this information and we need to focus on what interventions prevent, how to cure, and how to use resources properly.

Centers for Disease Control. (2020, January 16). U.S. statistics. Retrieved February 10, 2020, from https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/data-and-trends/statistics