Introduction

Hello! My name is Kayla Hitchcock. I am originally from Hays, Kansas.  I graduated this past May from North Central Kansas Technical College here in Hays with my ADN. Right out of graduation, I went to work in a family practice clinic here in town and have been there since and I am loving it!

Research is extremely prominent when we deal with vaccines. There are many rules and regulations that have come about due to the many people who have researched it. For instance, each year there is a lot of research that goes into what the annual influenza vaccine will contain and how it will best protect the people who receive it. Another place where I see research helping with vaccines is when we give pneumonia vaccines to people who are more susceptible to getting pneumonia before the age of 65. Someone along the way got the idea to research and see if the benefits would outweigh the risk. As in all things, not just nursing, there is a lot of research out there about good hand hygiene and proper cleaning techniques for different things. I look forward to learning more about how research impacts everything!

1. kapryce at |

I have worked with the geriatric population for most of my nursing career and the majority are always having pneumonia or some form of respiratory disease. Research with vaccines has really come a far way. My mother is 90 years old and she never missed a doctor’s appointment to be vaccinated.

2. Sadie Selenke at |

Hi Kayla!

I work in a family practice clinic also. I definitely agree that so much research and education goes into vaccines. There are constantly updates on vaccines and requirements for patients, so staying up to date on your practice is necessary. It’s nice to meet you!

Sadie