Introduction

Hello, my name is Christine Matthews. I graduated in 2016 with my ADN. I have been employed by Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita since June of 2016. The unit that I work in is an ICU step-down unit which is supposedly primarily respiratory and sepsis, however, that has never been the case. My unit cares for patients admitted for renal, diabetes, substance abuse just to name a few. I have also worked PRN as a travel nurse and as a substitute school nurse. I am continuing my education while I feel I still have the energy and time to complete it.

I have always thought that research was necessary for the medical field in general. It was not until I started my career that I have started to understand the ways that research has impacted almost everything in the nursing field. Initially, the constant change of policies and procedures was very overwhelming, and I was frustrated to be honest. I have only been a nurse for a little over three years and I can see how we are constantly using research to be current with the best evidence-based practice. Slight changes to sepsis protocol can have huge impacts on patient outcomes as well as some changes that may not seem as vital such as bathing patients. Many times, it is frustrating when protocols seem to be obstacles in the health care setting, but we must adapt. Nurses may not see the effects that research driven changes have for many years but it is important to me to reflect on how research has helped with the advancements we have already seen.  The fact is that almost every way a nurse helps his or her patient is based on research. Research is what propels all health care forward and one of the reasons that we have made great advancements in health care over a short amount of time.

4 Responses

1. awkaaya at |

I couldn’t agree more with research playing an important role in patient protocols though it may seem like a stick in the road. These precautions are necessary to follow by to ensure better patient recovery.

2. kapryce at |

Hello Christine, how are you. I always tell my co-worker that nursing is an ongoing process and every day we learned something new. Research provides the foundation for quality nursing care. Many nurses are now moving from floor nursing to become research nurses. With all these diseases and new outbreaks, we do need more nurses getting involve in research.

3. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Christine! Sepsis is a great example of a continuous changes based on EBP. The research has really driven down mortality rates, but we still have progress to make with application of best practice to promote better outcomes.

4. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Make sure you go back and edit your post to be categorized under introduction. Watching the brief tutorial in module 1 will help you.