Introduction

Hello everyone, my name is Wendy Gresham. I live in Wichita, Kansas. I have 2 boys, Gage is 7yrs old and Austin 19yrs old. My oldest is in the Army and stationed in Colorado Springs. I also have a wonderful boyfriend Ryan who has a 11yr old son named Kaden. I like to travel and read. I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years. My primary area of experience has been in cardiac ICU. I have been there my entire nursing career. I love the ICU because it is challenging and always something.

Cardiac patients represent a sizable portion of not just cardiac ICU’s but all hospital admissions. We use a lot of high tech equipment to help save peoples lives. With all the advancements in technology, new cardiac devices and other live saving devices are always coming out and being used in the cardiac ICU. Once thing we do that no other ICU units in the hospitals do is Hypothermia. Since we get all the post codes due to cardiac arrest, our unit is the only one that is trained to do Hypothermia. Therapeutic Hypothermia lowers the body temperature to 32 degrees celsius and can help reduce brain injury. Even though it is not 100 percent sure that it will be effective and one will wake up, there have been enough proven cases through research to prove that it worth trying.

Leão, R. N., Ávila, P., Cavaco, R., Germano, N., & Bento, L. (2015). Therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest: outcome predictors. Revista Brasileira de terapia intensiva27(4), 322–332. doi:10.5935/0103-507X.20150056

1. awkaaya at |

With all the technological advancements nowadays, it is hard to keep up with. This is to show that research impacts what we can create to make patient care sufficient and better patient health.

2. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Wendy! Targeted temperature management (the updated name for therapeutic hypothermia) is always modifying with best practice guidelines. It’s essential nurses keep up-to-date on best practice to promote better outcomes at the bedside for these patients.

3. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Make sure you go back and edit your post to be categorized under introduction. Watching the brief tutorial in module 1 will help you.