Introduction-Johnny Carter

Hello, my name is Johnny Carter. I graduated with my ADN in 2018.  I have been employed by the University of Kansas Health System for approximately 2 years. My first bachelor’s degree was from University of Missouri-Kansas City in Administration of Justice and Sociology. August 2016, I decided to follow my lifelong goal and obtain a nursing degree.

I am currently an ambulatory nurse in internal medicine. In my current position I float to different specialty clinics. I have experience working in General Medicine, Allergy, Endocrine and Nephrology. My future goals are to continue my education to become a nurse practitioner and work with pediatric diabetics. I am interested in working with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation to continue much needed research and build awareness. An ultimate goal of mine is to build a non-profit organization to reduce the burden of childhood diabetes, providing resources, education, funding and support to parents finding themselves in same situation as my biological mother.

Research is a crucial component in the field of nursing. Research provides information about a specific topic to help develop new practices and policies for healthcare providers to become more effective and advocate for their patients to achieve better outcomes. In our Allergy department we have a research team where they’re collecting data from patients who have been diagnosed with eczema to determine if our clinic is using the best standard of care associated with this diagnosis. The ultimate goal is to use evidence based practice with all immune mediated skin disorders

1. cdgabel at |

It is great that you have a goal to help with juvenile diabetes. Juvenile diabetes has been a growing thing in the past few years. It is so important for parents and kids to have support and resources to help them with this disease. Good luck with this class and your future!

2. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Excellent example of using the evidence to drive best outcomes. Thank you for sharing your goals with us, and I wish you the best on your journey! Welcome to the course, Johnny.