Introduction-BoDell Gracey

Hello all!  My name is BoDell Gracey and I am from a small town in central Nebraska called Arnold.  I have 3 step-children and 1 daughter that just turned 5 this month.  Our family enjoys everything outdoors!  Currently we have been doing a lot of sledding with all the snow we have had.  My family is a horse family also so we spend time, when the weather is warmer, riding horses!  We also spend a lot of time with our extended family usually playing cards and watching sporting events.  We are looking forward to the Super Bowl!

Above is Miles, June, Colt, and Jayda!!!

I have worked as a med-surg nurse, circulating nurse in the OR, an ICU nurse, and my latest is working as an RN in a rural hospital where you do a little bit of everything.  I have the most experience as a circulating nurse in the OR.  There have been a lot of advancements in the surgical department from research.  A big thing when it comes to surgery is infection rates.  Depending on the surgeon and the case being done, depended on the type of prep we used and for hold long we prepped for.  There has been a lot of research on the effectiveness of chloraprep, which was what more surgeons were starting to use for their prep.  Another research based practice we used was our rooms could only be open for 1 hour.  If for some reason the surgeon was delayed and our room was open for more than 1 hour we had to tear it down and start over.  The risk for contamination goes up past the 1 hour mark.  There were also certain room temperatures that certain surgeons wanted for infection reasons.  There was one surgeon I worked with that was big into research and one thing he always talked about was women having a hysterectomy should have their fallopian tubes removed and ovaries left if possible.  He stated that the new research shows that ovarian cancer starts in the fallopian tubes and not in the ovaries.  I was always excited to work with him and see what new research he had read about.  I’m excited to learn more about nursing research in this class and how I can use it in my current job as a acute care RN in a rural hospital.  Good luck to all!

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Also the use of razors for site prep! Everything in the OR is effected by research. Welcome to the course!

2. cdgabel at |

I have worked in a rural hospital as well and I think research is a great way to bring new ideas to the hospital. It is sometimes difficult for rural hospitals to have the newest and most up-to-date technologies so sometimes they have to improvise. While it is difficult for these rural hospitals to have the the newest things, it is so important they keep up with current practices to the best of their ability.
    I had never heard that Fallopian tubes should be removed versus the ovaries with a hysterectomy. This is great to know. I always love learning from the doctors I work with.

3. mtrogers3 at |

Hi BoDell, I think we had another FHSU class together recently. My family also enjoys outdoor activities. We have never really tried horseback riding, but I would love to get my kids riding some day.
    Isn’t it nice working with doctors and learning about new research through them.

Michael

4. jbonilla at |

I also worked in the OR and I got to see how much temperature would have an effect on infection rates. There was a period of time that the OR had issues with temperature and there was definitely a trend. Fortunately they were able to get this issue resolved.