Introduction

Hello,
My name is Cecilia Owolawi. I currently live and work as a psychiatric nurse in a community hospital in Staunton, Virginia. I moved to the United States with my family in 2017.
I started my career about 16 years ago as a pediatric oncology nurse at a teaching hospital in Nigeria. Since then, I have practiced in various fields of nursing and settings; NICU, Medical in-patient and outpatient, Emergency Department, Occupational Health, and Obstetrics & gynecology.
I am completing my BSN as a stepping stone for advancement in the profession, and I look forward to a fulfilling semester sharpening my knowledge of research, and the application to nursing practice.
I cannot overemphasize the importance of research in my current area of practice, mental/behavioral health. Research forms the basis for evidence-based practices such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

and Dialectical Behavior Therapy, which have been proven effective in the treatment of different mental disorders.

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Cecilia! Glad to have you.

2. mtrogers3 at |

Hi Cecilia! I recently read about CBT in a book entitled Mindsight by Dr. Daniel Siegel. This was the first time I had really heard about CBT and found the book really interesting. Now from reading your post I have something new to learn about, Dialectical Behavior Therapy. I look forward to learning more from you!

Michael