Jace Armstrong- Chapter 3 Option 3

1.   Are certain media better at conveying stories with certain types of news values? For example, is emotion easier to convey through words or moving images?
    1. In some aspects I do think that certain forms of media do a better job of conveying emotion and empathy than others. I think about the stories of someone being a victim of police violence, a video package that shows location, those involved, and family members reactions provides a more raw and emotional aspect than that of a written piece about the same story. For some people it could be the opposite however. It comes to person preference in my opinion, but I would assume most would agree they would have more empathy seeing someone get chocked in an interview versus read what they said in quotes in a written article.
  2.  Is timeliness best suited for online?
    1. Timeliness is good for any medium of news. It is easier to get things up online fast versus on a news broadcast. But, a news broadcast will have to try to be as updated as possible when their show aires at a certain time during the day to make sure the viewers are as updated as possible. I do think timeliness is best suited for online because of the ease of being able to type up 140 characters for a tweet in less than two minutes to inform the general public. It is hard to plan an entire broadcast or write an entire newspaper and have it be the most recent form of  news when they are competing with online information.
  3. As media organizations converge, how might delivery format affect the types of information conveyed through each format?
    1. I don’t think that the medium of delivery will affect the type of information that is conveyed. If anything, it will make things easier to deliver all types of information because of the versatility of technology. Being able to write a post, record a video, or snap pictures and have them up online in an instant will make being able to cover topics easier. It will provide an avenue to put out more content easier and not hinder the types of information that is conveyed

2 Responses

1. Jeanne at |

Online access basically invented timeliness with how fast people can share information using it. I personally think the written word can be a lot more palatable, with no visuals things don’t seem as scary, that’s why color photos rocked war journalism in the 70s.

Reply
  2. kkbrown4 at |

It might be my own personal preference as well, but I also think that photo and video journalism do a better job at portraying emotion than a written piece per say. I would also agree with you that timeliness is suited well for online because of the convenience of being able to post something quickly to the public, rather than having to wait for a broadcast show to air. Really great points.

Reply