- Examine the ways news is made, and note how news gathering is changing
- Identify news gathering in the broader world of mass communications
- Analyze what changes in news processes are doing to the principles of good journalism.
- Reconcile news gathering with current forces shaping the media economy.
- Explore how to verify information
- Read the assigned book chapter and online course guide
- Gather information for 3rd beat story
- [Extra-Credit]: Mid-Term Feedback to reflect on first four weeks
- Individual appt with Dr. Loggins to review your work
- [Textbook Reading] Chapter 3
- Read Fact-Check instructions, assignment, & rubric
- Read Course Guide: Fact-Checking and Evaluation & Citation tabs
- Read/View Guest Column
Assignments (Due by 9 am CT on 10/13):
- [Blog Post 6]: Pick one of the 3 options below to write a blog post and comment 2 peers’ posts on the other two options.
- [Guest Questions 3] Provide at least two questions.
- [Bb Quiz 4]: Chapter 3 quiz
- [Blog Post 7]: Write one paragraph fact-check. Please select the category of “Blog Post 7” for this posting.
- [Biweekly Article 3]: Turn in your 3rd beat story and categorize it under “3rd Beat Story”. DUE 10/15
- Tu 9/29 Work on example fact-check
- Th 10/1 Discuss text & activities, analyze the news values in your own stories
- Tu 10/6 Fact-check Questions. Article review/discussion
- Th 10/8 Meet with guest