Welcome to Module 2! You will have two weeks to complete the reading and assignments in this module. To encourage a regular stream of stories each week, you can complete the content learning now or skip ahead to write your 1st Beat Story. In preparation to write the beat story, you will return to the Poynter course for help preparing your first story. If you decide to hold off, you will use the content below to begin learning more about the profession of journalism.
If you are still reading, then I assume you are ready to start the content learning. We crack open the textbook this week to dive deep into exactly what “Journalism” means and how does it fit into the United States of America. Before starting with the text, I’ve included study tips to help you review the material in your textbook more effectively. Once you are done with the study tips and the chapter, you have a quiz to test your knowledge and some blog posts to help you truly consider the ramifications of the material. Enjoy!
- Describe and discuss the essential role journalism plays in a democracy
- Explore the specific functions the press performs to fulfill democratic needs
- Consider the factors that influence whether and how well journalism can perform those functions
- Further develop beat
- Write the first beat story
- Read study tips on Reading a Textbook for True Understanding
- Read the first chapter of the textbook: Craft, S. & Davis, C. (2016). The mirror, the watchdog, and the marketplace. In Principles of American journalism: An introduction. Routledge.
- Self-Directed Course: Introduction to Beat Reporting, Lesson 2: Preparing for your First Stories
- Read The News Manual, v. 1
- Chapter 6: Writing the News Story in Six Simple Steps;
- Chapter 8: Quotes;
- Chapter 9: Attributions
- Optional: Audio Story – Why are beats important
- Optional: Online resources from the publisher.
- Optional: Publisher’s chapter slides.
- Complete the quiz [insert the Bb course link]
- Participate in the class poll: Needs of Democracy [insert the Bb link]
- Create a blog post addressing one module objective. Your blog post should address each question and do any required preliminary work for one of the following activities from your text:
- Activity 1: OBJ Explore the specific functions the press performs to fulfill democratic needs.
- Activity 2: OBJ Consider the factors that influence whether and how well journalism can perform those functions.
- Activity 4: OBJ Develop an understanding of the essential role journalism plays in a democracy.
- Respond to a classmate’s post on the two other activities. If you need to complete your response before anyone else posts, create a shorter post inspired by that activity.
- Feel free to move on to Write your 1st beat story when you are ready.
- If you need to review the introduction to beat reporting, you can always go back to Module 1.
You can order the book here:
I recommend the electronic copy of the book. But, you can use this link to access the first chapter, if you decided on the print version.
If you have completed the assignments for this module (the assignments above and your 1st beat story), move on ahead to Module 3.