Beat Development

This is a list of elements to my beat development:

•  Notes from any journalists you talk to
    • I have not found anyone (yet) covering my topic, but I will continue to look. Since most of the journalists around here cover politics, so it seems, I will have to branch out and find people to contact on a higher level.
  • How will I cover my beat in person?
    • Like many others, my opportunities are slim when things come to “in-person”. So I will monitor what the town of Hays is doing with public meetings and see if there are any opportunities to attend through Zoom meetings.
  • Links to online resources
    • There were only a few sites I found regarding recycling and environment in Kansas. They are listed as follows
    • https://www.haysusa.com/313/Recycling-Program
    • https://www.kdheks.gov/environment/index.html
  • Material that can Help
    • I plan to reach out to recycling companies in Hays and surrounding communities along with the state’s environmental board to gather information regarding environmental issues in Kansas and how they can be prevented.
  • Important Dates
    • Unfortunately, several conferences regarding the environmental health of Kansas have been postponed due to COVID-19 but I am watching closely for any changes or announcements of when they could be scheduled for.
  • 5 W’s and the H
    • Who- Kansas Citizens/Officials
    • What- Kansas Environmental Issues
    • When- Until end of semester
    • Where- Kansas
    • Why- to better inform students and citizens of what could be coming
  • Lede:
    • Kansas citizens are currently overloaded with information about the current pandemic, so much that they have forgotten that Mother Nature needs our help. Until the end of the year, I will be working my hardest to educate those who care on what they can do to help out our environment
  • Nut Graph
    • The environment and the land of Kansas often brings many tourists to the beautiful state, so protecting it will not only help ourselves live our best lives, but will help the economy for next generations.