Beat Description

My beat is to update consumers with details about the presidential candidates possible policies once elected, what is said at debates, topics mentioned at campaign rallies. I had considered updating readers about how the coronavirus affects the baseball team, but I found myself at a loss for possible ideas after one or two stories. This beat made more sense because of its relevancy to everyone in the United States and I feel at times people my age do not pay attention to what is said and are very uneducated about what the candidates are representing.

Every Friday seems like a fair day to update everyone about what happened throughout the week in politics. But, the possibility for every Sunday could be there as well. Because the rallies are fairly sparse due to the pandemic it will be hard to plan for when they will be making these appearances. As of right now the deadline will every Friday to keep the information relevant to that week.

• What is the nature of your beat?
    • Presidential race of 2020
  • What are the boundaries of your beat?
    • My boundaries will range from the presidential candidates at the national level, to how their decisions and policies will affect officials at the state and local level.
  • What does your editor expect from you?*
      • To give unbiased updates on the presidential election events. Proper grammar and citations when using direct quotes.
    • How will you handle overlap with other beats?
      • If they are similar to mine, I will possibly reach out the writer and as for an interview on their ideas of what has been said. As well as make sure we are not covering the exact same stories.
    • Routine Responsibilities?
      • Read articles about the campaigns, watch rallies, watch debates, check up on the campaign websites
    • Which regular meetings will you always cover?
      • Debates, and news broadcasts
    • How many interviews & quotes?
      • Quotes will be very prevalent so the reader knows it was something that was actually stated and not a paraphrase of the comments made. Possibly interviewing individuals on their thoughts of the debates/rallies.
    • Any live blogs or social media?
      • I feel blogs and social media can lead to bias amongst my updates. So if I do use blogs and social media I will make sure to thoroughly fact check the posts made to ensure an unbiased update.
  • What public and private institutions fall in your beat?
    • I am unsure if presidential candidates and their parties are a public or private “institution”, but those are the direct individuals that fall under my beat.
  • What topics and issues fall in your beat?
    • Presidential debates, campaign rallies, interviews with reporters, statements made by candidates, any information regarding the 2020 presidential race
  • Which regular meetings or other events will you always cover?
    • Statements released via candidates campaign, news broadcasts detailing political information (CNN, Fox, NBC, ABC), tune into televised debates
  • Where are the gathering places you need to frequent?
    • online or on television
  • Who are the officials you need to visit regularly?
    • Possibly local political officials. But my topic does not (directly) involve anyone local until November.

1. Dr. Loggins at |

Great start, Jace! We’ll talk more about your description and what your fellow hybrid classmates are thinking when we all meet tomorrow.

When you finalize this for September 1, I hope you will be able to add more specifics. I think we can definitely flesh out the boundaries better. Of course, if you look ahead to Module #2, you’ll see the Beat Development assignment in that module will also help you narrow things down and get more specific.

Reply
  2. Dr. Loggins at |

Love the update, Jace! I think you are really on to something here.

Reply
  3. Nick at |

This will be a very interesting beat, and one that should grab a lot of traffic. I would suggest getting on a regular routine to talk with some political science profs here at FHSU for weekly interviews, thoughts, fact-checking, etc. That would provide a nice “local” angle to each story/assignment.

Reply