1. Cassie, RN at |

Kristen,

I think this is an interesting topic as many areas, not just healthcare, have gone to 12 hour shifts. All of your information is good. One thing I also think that adds to the fatigue is we are expected to take on more patients and more responsibilities. I know where I am currently working they are working towards night shift taking a 6:1 radio of patients to nurses on a med/surg floor. The biggest push behind this is to reduce and ultimately remove the need for agency staffing which is a huge cost to the hospital. When you are allowed a 2 hour time frame for assessments at 2100 medications that is 20 minutes a patient. While a head to toe shouldn’t take 20 minutes it can be a challenge to get a full picture of your patient and have time to provide the kind of compassion and care that we want to provide while completing all the tasks that need to be done.

I liked how you alternated the background colors of your column to break up the information a bit. Your image about how lack of sleep is a good graphic. I would be interested to know how far those nurses were driving who were in an accident. I personally work in the same community that I live but I know of many people who drive 30+ minutes or more to get home and that would be a challenge after working a 12 hour shift.

2. Megan Schelling at |

Thanks for the great poster! This is a controversial topic for some nurses. When I first started as a nurse, I worked 8 hour night shifts on a med/surg floor. I now work 12 hour night shifts in the ER. Looking back I do think that I felt better working 8 hour shifts, however I did not like working 5 days per week. I felt like I had no time to do anything at home or have a personal. Working 12 hour shifts, definitely make me more tired but I do feel like I am able to do things outside of work. I currently drive approximately 40 minutes to work. In the mornings, driving home is often exhausting. I will admit that sometimes I space off and then realize where I’m at and wonder how I already got that far. It is dangerous. What type of shift do you prefer?

3. adcriger at |

I thought your poster was very well put together. There was a nice balance between written information and pictures. Great job!

I noticed your implication for nursing you mentioned looking at how many consecutive 12 hour shifts can be worked and the relationship in errors, etc. This would be very interesting to see the results. I personally felt like 6 in a row was the maximum I could do. I rarely tried to do that unless it was necessary. I felt like 4 in a row was perfect. How many shifts do you like to work in a row?

4. jcbrandt at |

Kristen, your poster looks great and covers a vast amount of information without being jumbled. We have discussed this topic in great detail on your other post so I won’t bore you with the same discussion. I loved your graphics. Was there any exclusion criteria for the study?