Chapter 2 Activity 5

I discovered an article from NBC News called “Coronavirus has now killed 1 million people around the world.” It discusses how more than 1 million people have died from the virus and how governments have failed to contain and eliminate it. Scientist are trying to speed up their work to come up with a safe and effective vaccine. There is a total of 5 sources used for this article.

One of the sources was from John Hopkins University and their data has shown that 1 million people have died from the virus since it was discovered last year in China. The data also shows that the United States still has the most global death toll at 200,000, then it is Brazil at 142,000 and India at 95,500. According to the World Health Organization stated that the worldwide death toll could possibly double from 1 to 2 million before a effective vaccine is created and used and might even become a higher number. The global death toll is already higher than expected. According to Assistant Health Secretary Hugo Lopez-Gatell, with Mexico being the 4th largest death toll at 76, 430 complete data will not be available for several years to come. The World Bank described the pandemic as “the largest economic shock the world has experienced in decades.” I would say the story is attributed about 40 percent.

I was looking at this story on Twitter as well as on the news app. NBC posted the story on the app as well as Twitter and there was some factual statements posted on there. However, many of the post were opinionated and cannot be assumed reliable news. I would say that these post were not the traditional way of writing for news articles.