KT2 Donnie MacLeod

https://www.plectica.com/maps/ERLQRP8W6

What: This week’s assignment was about developing a deeper understanding of Swarm learning and applying it to the complexities of healthcare.

So what: I think it’s very beneficial we are taking this class with a systems approach because healthcare, at least in the US, is very complex and a good understanding of systems thinking will help us better understand healthcare in the US.

Now what: Next, we need to continue to expand our understanding of complex adaptive systems and be able to apply it to healthcare. In this manner we can then become good managers in the healthcare industry.

6 Replies to “KT2 Donnie MacLeod”

1. Fantastic work, Donnie! I just shared it in the Facebook group.

1. Thank you!

2. Hi Donnie,
    I really enjoyed seeing your plectica map and how you organized your thoughts. I agree that we should apply the complex adaptive systems to healthcare. I believe we could provide better understanding and care for our clients and patients. There are times I feel pessimistic in the field that we don’t always have a logical healthcare system, but one that is limited within the red tape. How do we start implementing and encouraging CAS when our peers don’t want to or don’t think they can?

3. One main thing I’ve learned working in healthcare is that when you want someone to do something they don’t want to you have to adapt to their needs/desires. For example, my 75 year old patient that has never picked up a weight in their life comes to PT after a knee replacement and I’m asking them to do a goblet squat with a 7# dumbbell. They are going to say no so fast I’ll be wasting our time. But, if I remind them and show them how well it translates to gardening they will be more willing every time. We can’t teach through our preferred methods, we have to teach to our learner’s strengths. To be able to encourage CAS to our peers we have to have a deeper understanding and I don’t think we’re there yet (I know I’m not). I do think we have step up because we use systems thinking when we break down a complex movement, squat, into it’s components, concentric/eccentric muscle firing, what joints do what, so on. Good question! Hopefully that made sense.

1. Excellent Post. You are spot on with this. You must know your client to be able to teach them. I learned that early in my nursing career. Sometimes, you have to get very creative with learning and education and have to think outside the box to teach, but you must be able to reach the patient on their level.

4. Donnie, this was a great answer to the question above. You are exactly right. We have to find ways to adapt in all scenarios and lean on each individuals strengths when teaching/encouraging change.