7 Comments

1. I first was interested in studying chemotherapy in the pediatric population. I quickly discovered the various side effects, or otherwise referred to as “late effects,” that can occur in patients who have undergone chemotherapy late into survivorship. My mentor was studying immunotherapy, and since immunotherapy is a newer cancer treatment we realized not much research had been performed on the side effects of treatment and long term management of care. We are motivated to discover what side effects have occurred in these patients and how to accurately educate and perform surveillance for those being treated with immunotherapy.

1. Very nice presentation! Do you think that the COVID-19 vaccine will impact patients currently taking immunotherapy differently than those on chemotherapy?

1. When looking at the differences in chemotherapy and immunotherapy, their mechanisms of action are completely opposite. For chemotherapy, neutrophils, including lymphocytes needed to fight a viral infection, are depleted. For those receiving immunotherapy, it would depend on what type of immunotherapy. Specifically, for our research, immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy does not destroy lymphocytes, but rather enables T-cells to bind to their targeted cancer cells. In general, both therapies could weaken the immune system, however, yes, I do feel the vaccine will impact those on immunotherapy differently because their immune fighting cells are not fully depleted like that in chemotherapy. Currently, I believe the NCCN released recommendations prioritizing the vaccine for patients with active cancer on any therapy except hormonal therapy, and patients about to start or recently completing such therapy. Additionally, they suggest delaying the vaccine for at least three months after patients have completed CAR T-cell therapy, a type immunotherapy.

2. Very well-done.
    How do you think family care-givers are affected?

1. Family or primary caregivers play a critical role in performing surveillance and ensuring these patients stay healthy long into their survivorship. However, they must be educated on what to watch for and when patients who have survived their cancer need routine scans. For example, providers should be aware of what labs to order, if medication doses need adjusted (like in renal cell cancer) and understand risks other illnesses may pose for a patient who had received immunotherapy. Family care providers serve as the link in monitoring for complications and relapse and a patient’s sustained health.

3. Beautiful work, Brynn; I especially appreciate your well thought-out answers to the questions offered to you.