18 Comments

1. I really enjoyed seeing your research! I think it is very important to understand how divorce programs can provide support towards children. The development of a child is very important and mandating these programs seems like the first step to provide support to children with divorced parents. Now, that this research provided the validity of these programs, hopefully more can be done to shape these programs in a even more efficient way!

1. Knowing that I was interested in working with families in some capacity, I was interested in working on research relating to families facing various challenges. Dr. Ferraro’s team was already working on the first phase of this work, and I reached out about joining the team. Through this project, I have had opportunities to learn about the transition of families adjusting to divorce/separation and the considerations of programs put in place to support them.

2. I really like your presentation! I did not know that divorce programs existed but I do know that kids often suffer a lot when their parents are going through a divorce. Having a program that is there and set up to create a more positive effect will be helpful to parents and children alike. Do these programs offer different treatment or coping skills to children based on age? Is there one program in the nation that is the most successful?

1. Programs currently differ greatly in the types of content they provide, but most of them involve just the parents rather than the entire family. The hope of this study is that program facilitators can utilize the assessment tools we have identified in order to better standardize programs according to what is shown to be beneficial/successful.

3. I really enjoyed hearing about your research! I think that it’s important to discuss divorce programs can befit children. I come from a divorced family and I think a divorce programs would have benefited not only me but also my parents. And could have potentially helped me with the transition to being a child from a divorced home. Are there different programs that are available to children who are a certain age?

1. Thank you! I am not sure about programs for children of varying ages- we focused this work on programs offered to parents that help the parents create a successful transition for their children. In this study, we excluded child-reports from our assessment tools.

4. I really enjoyed your presentation. I was in the public elementary school spectrum for 17 years and I can attest to children being affected by how the their parents handled the divorce. Divorce education could be such a benefit.

5. Lindy, this is a very interesting research topic! Your information was very easy to understand and I can tell a lot of time and energy went into this research. This research will be highly beneficial for the state of Kansas, thank you for sharing!

6. Lindy

Thank you for sharing about your research! It is well-organized and it was easy to follow.
    As for your research, what would be the next steps? Are there any organizations in Kansas that might be interested in utilizing identified 11 scales?

1. The next steps are to hopefully disseminate this work so that program coordinators/facilitators have access to our recommended tools for evaluating and planning their programs. Then, there are additional constructs identified by Schramm (2018) for which measurements need to be identified in further work.

1. I would recommend looking on your university’s webpage in the human ecology department to see what research topics professors are currently working on and connecting with instructors working on projects you would be interested in helping with. I have found that once you can develop a strong relationship with a research mentor, you will have more opportunities to take on more responsibilities with projects!