12 Comments

1. Hi! This is a very interesting project, you did an amazing job of explaining your project while leading your audience throughout the poster. I do have a question regarding the sows – did you use a specific breed of sows to do this experiment?

1. Thank you! The sows used throughout this study were DNA Genetics line 241 sows. These sows are an F1 hybrid produced using purebred Yorkshire and Landrace pigs.

1. Thank you! The importance of precision diet formulation and sow health is crucial within swine production and this study allowed me to focus on the impact corn particle size had on sows, all while fulfilling my interests in animal nutrition and veterinary medicine.

2. Great work on your video and poster, it was clear and easy to understand. Do you currently have any future research in mind?

1. Thank you! A research project that I would like to pursue in the near future is to feed sows for the entire 114-day gestation period and measure the subsequent effects on reproduction and litter performance. Another project idea, utilizing the experimental procedure from this project, would be to test this over different varieties of corn.

3. Rachel, thank you for sharing your research! I can tell you put a lot of effort into the visual presentation as well as the research itself. Keep doing great things!

4. Rachel,

Thank you for sharing your research! This research has great potential to contribute to the field as well as practical implications.
    What are some limitations of this study? Are there any plans for future research?

5. Thank you! Some limitations of this study were that I only fed the sows for 21 days instead of over the entire gestational period, if I had more treatments I could better determine if the shape of the response curve is truly linear or quadratic, and if I were to increase the number of reps for extended periods of time to monitor removals and mortalities this would give me the ultimate sow health response.
    A research project that I would like to pursue in the near future is to feed sows for the entire 114-day gestation period and measure the subsequent effects on reproduction and litter performance.