Introduction

Hello Everyone!  My name is Alicia.  This is my twentieth year as a nurse.  I started out as a LPN.  As a LPN I worked in acute care, nursing home, occupational health, and in a primary care clinic.  I graduated with my RN in 2012.   My first job as a RN was on a post-surgical unit.  Working on post-surg has been my favorite nursing job of all.  However, it was 75 miles one way from my home and the drive became too much after several years.  I was able to transfer within my organization to a local position as a Wellness Nurse and now currently to a Care Manager.  My position as a Wellness Nurse was phased out and we were given the opportunity to move into the role of Care Manager.  The Care Manager position requires a BSN, so here I am.  I have been on my own as a Care Manager for one month.  I am learning a lot and enjoying my new role.  That is one of the wonderful things about nursing is the diversity.  There are so many different nursing roles to fit whatever season of life you are in.

I am also a wife and mom of two boys ages 13 and 15.  Prior to COVID 19 Quarantine we were a very busy family.  My oldest plays soccer, wrestling, and baseball.  My youngest wrestles and plays golf.  We are active in 4H and our church.  We enjoy the outdoors, camping, fishing, and four wheeler riding.  We are trying to get our children to as many states that we can before they leave our nest.  I love to read, fish, travel, spend time with my family and volunteer.

The organization that I work for is Magnet certified so evidence based practice is a common conversation.  I have served on the Shared Governance Research Council for the hospital.  I am currently in a journal club were we discuss different research articles each month that pertain to our practice.  I love to learn and find research articles and evidence based practice interesting.

Good Luck to everyone this semester!

1. lvmezavega2 at |

Hello Alicia,
    It is great to meet you. COVID-19 is really messing with all of our extracurricular activities, but better safe than sorry. Congratulations on your 20 years in the field, it can be easily said, but it’s not as easy to do. I have not been a nurse all that long, but I am looking forward to saying the same 20 years from now. I am happy to hear that your new position is something you enjoy. I have not had much experience with evidence-based practice other than in the school setting, but I would like to be more informed and carry out EBP more frequently.
    Growing up, I didn’t get to travel much at all, so I truly respect your efforts to get your kids out there and allow them to experience more beyond what they know to be normal.
    Good luck to you as well!

2. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome, Alicia! Yes, Magnet hospitals use shared leadership models and heavily use the evidence to drive practice and improve outcomes. You will have a journal club assignment in this course which you can use to then present in your unit journal club!