1. jjcorbett at |

Hello! Nice poster on PPE for working with chemotherapy. It is definitely something that needs more attention. I spent 10 years as a bedside ICU nurse and never really had any formal training giving any chemo agents. We would occasionally get told to wear the ‘black’ gloves and PPE but nothing formal. I feel like there is a need for more education on safe handling of chemo agents and PPE as there are more pumped into the market for routine prescription it seems like these days.

2. ardavis8 at |

Crystal, What an usual and important topic! It amazes me that people are still not utilizing PPE when they know they should be. To see that only 47% are wearing the gowns, and the number goes down, is mind blowing! Nicely done!

3. oofakolujo at |

This is a very important topic. Sometimes I have patients on oral chemotherapy medicine and we were given a training on how to safely handle the medications before administration and how to safely dispose the medication packages. Your poster is very educative and you did a good job of explaining the implications of the topic for nursing.

4. WhitneyB at |

Crystal,

This is such an important topic especially for chemotherapy administration. We have an issue on the floor for PPE in general such as: contact, contact droplet, airborne, and cytotoxic/hazardous drugs. There is a policy in place cytotoxic/hazardous drugs precautions on our unit. I personally looked it up one night as I was working because I felt like there was not a clear understanding about it throughout the unit. After reading the policy and understand the importance of the precaution’s I printed out the protocol to review over huddle. It was amazing to see how many people did not follow the appropriate protocol for there own protection. Cytotoxic drugs do not only just harm your skin but if you come in contact with a drug that your body doesn’t need you can also experience NADIR just as the patient who needs the chemotherapy. This is scary, you body absorbs those chemicals. Very important topic. Great job on the poster. Photos were helpful for understanding. Have you shown this information to you current facility to make change? Or is it not a problem in your facility? What is your current facilities protocol on PPE for chemo administration?

5. Karen at |

Crystal, This poster provides a great reminder to follow established protocols for PPE and chemo medications to protect the health and well being of nurses. It is surprising that the skin can turn red with just a brief exposure. I have not given chemo but can appreciate doing the right thing every time. Nice presentation.

6. cdelorenzo at |

What a great Title!!! Safety for Nurses is extremely important. Working in Maternal Child Health my entire career, I had no idea that PPE needed to be worn during the administration of chemo drugs. Looking back on my career, nurses would pour formaldehyde into placenta buckets without any protection. Eventually it was banned from the unit, but safety among thousands of nurses was impacted.

7. cmsare at |

Great job on your poster. This seems like it would be great information for a chemo unit. I personally have never worked with it so this was great information and a great teaching tool at least for a start. The title threw me off at first because I was thinking “safety” as in from harm but after reading it, it completely makes sense. It is easy to read and the pictures are just enough to assist with explanation. Great job.