IRB Case Study #1

In the case study that I was assigned to, I had to analyze race differences in HIV positive test results from anonymous demographic data that was collected from an initial testing center. The labs test were preformed and collected at government funded clinics throughout the Med-west region of the United States. The case study began in January 2010 and ran till December 2011. Variables in the analysis included race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, age group and education level.

When it comes to analyzing the risk for the researcher, I would say that their risk is minimal. The researcher does not provide any personal information and only receives it. When it comes to the participant I feel like they encounter a huge risk as it is their personal information that is being shared. Now, the reason why I say that it is a huge risk for the participant, is because if they are HIV positive and somehow that information gets linked back to them on “accident” or a system gets hacked and someone outside the research intercepts the information, it could be traumatizing for that participant.  As far as the risks go for society, I think the risk comes into play in the high clustered areas where people are unaware of the disease be prevalent in their location.

Assisting in research has it benefits to the community/location as well. Some of the benefits for the researcher and society in this particular case study, is that it shows where and if there are clusters spots where HIV might be prevalent. I think also as a researcher it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between race, age, socioeconomic status and education level. When it comes to the participant there really is no benefit to them other then them knowing that possibly that they are not the only HIV positive people in their location.

When it comes the the level of IRB approval for this case study, it would be minimal risk. The reason why this particular case study would impose a minimal risk is because it simply is asking for anonymous demographic data that was collected through a testing center. It presents minimal risk for all involved and information is collected through private health information.

References

National Bioethics Advisory Commission. (2016). Reporting on Ethical and Policy Issues in Research Involving Human Participants; Chapter 4: Assessing Risks and Potential Benefits and Evaluating Vulnerability. Retrieved from onlineethics.org/cms/8033.aspx

“IRB.” Institutional Review Board, The College of New Jersey, 13 Jan. 2020, irb.tcnj.edu/types-of-irb-review/.

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

If the data collected is retrospective and anonymous, then how is personal information tied to the participant? Who actually is the “participant” in this case study? Don’t forget to support your standpoints with the evidence. How can you use the Belmont report or ANA code of ethics to define why the risks and benefits are supported? After further assessment of this information, should the study be IRB exempt, expedited, or full board review?

2. crtownsend2 at |

I was wondering about the anonymous part too. If it is anonymous how can the personal information get linked? Did the participant sign a consent? I am assuming a consent was signed because the researcher has to have the participants permission. Is that how you were thinking the information could be leaked? Just a thought!

3. lrbollig at |

You always wonder how well your personal health information is protected. The study does say its anonymous collected data, and with no identifiable data to link the information to a participant. When going to most hosptials and clinics they have to signs a consent to use your information for research but you never know what for or when the information will be used.

4. jemuilenburg at |

To me if we are saying the risk to the patient is huge because of the risk of their information being leaked then it is no longer considered minimal risk for IRB review. Personally, I feel as though if the information is anonymous then it is an exempt IRB review however if the risk to the patient is huge then it would need a full IRB review but I don’t not believe that to be the case in this instance.

Resources:

STEP ONE: Before You Begin. (n.d.). Retrieved June 19, 2020, from https://jcu.edu/research/irb/investigators-guide/step-one-you-begin