C.Stein – Journal Club Blog

Human Trafficking is defined by three things; “a person must be recruited, transported, transferred, harbored, or received. Second, human trafficking influenced use of means such as a threat, force,  coercion, abduction, fraud, or deception. Third, human trafficking has a purpose of exploitation (Dols, Beckmann-Mendez, Mcdow, Walker, & Moon, 2019)

In South Texas, an area close to the Mexico boarder, the opportunities for an emergency room nurse to encounter a patient that could be classified as a Human Trafficking Victims (HTV) are relatively high. When those who are trafficked obtain medical care many times it is at an emergency department over other types of medical care. Dols, et al wanted to know what emergency departments in 5 trauma service areas in South Texas were doing to attempt to screen and identify patients in their emergency departments as HTV. They sent out surveys to 99 ED’s and received information back from 27. The surveys asked about the use of a screening tool for both adults and children as well as information on who and when the screening were completed. With a response rate of 27.3% it was found that 40.7% of the ED’s completed a human trafficking screening aimed at adults and 37% use a screening to identify human trafficking victims that are less than 18 years old.  Most screenings are completed in the triage area for both adult and child screenings and the greatest percentage is completed by an RN. There were multiple different types of screenings used by each individual department, some adult screenings were modified to be used on children. There are numerous screenings out there for use, however, none of them have been verified with data to show which or even if they are useful for identifying those who could be a HTV.

Those departments who are using the screenings had no identified persons in the year 2017 but had identified HTV in the past. Victims are not known to self-identify so it is up to the nursing staff to identify them so that a chance of providing resources can be completed. However, key changes in education of nursing staff as well as a verified screening tools need to be in place to better equip nursing staff to asses and identify those who could be a victim of human trafficking.

Dols, J. D., Beckmann-Mendez, D., Mcdow, J., Walker, K., & Moon, M. D. (2019). Human Trafficking Victim Identification, Assessment, and Intervention Strategies in South Texas Emergency Departments. Journal of Emergency Nursing45(6), 622–633. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2019.07.002

C.Stein -Journal Club Critique Form

C.Stein – fishbone_template

1. jcbrandt at |

Cassie, this is a subject that I do not have any official training on or experience with in healthcare. The first place I could imagine that would be a hot spot for human trafficking would be the border between the United States and Mexico, relatively close enough to us even in Kansas for there to be human trafficking victims in our society and healthcare system without even knowing it. Another region or geographical location that I have lived in as a child from my parents careers in the military is South East Asia.The Global Report on Trafficking in Persons 2016, published by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC), said China, Japan, Malaysia and Thailand were human traffickers’
    destinations from neighboring countries. According to an article in Strait Times from November of 2019 most of the human trafficking victims from Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar end up in Thailand. Victims from Vietnam, Philippines, and Indonesia end up in Malaysia(New Straits Times 2019). My time spent in the Philippines was the years from 1985 to 1989, ages 8-12 yrs old. Although that was 35 yrs ago and I was just a child, the human trafficking and sex occupation was noticeable, or at least I was aware of the differences around me without being told the harsh truths. To get back to the study you researched from the ENA, I found it quite astonishing that only 27 surveys came back out of the 99. Meaning the percentages provided in the study only came from 27.3% of the overall ED’s. This tells me that there is a need for education on human trafficking and how to detect it in patients presenting in the ER. It’s not just that the only ED’s who responded are the only one’s who are seeing theses type of patients but they may be the only one’s who have any training or education to be able to do so in those areas. If human trafficking is one of the largest criminal organizations in the world according to the U.S. Department of Justice, then we must be missing identifying them in our healthcare system. Candi Bolden of the Wichita Eagle wrote and article and presented a video on human trafficking that identifies Kansas as an originating state in the U.S. of human trafficking(U.S. Department of Justice 2018) Children in vulnerable situations are especially at risk, with 1 in 7 runways victims of human trafficking. 88% of those children victims were in care of social services when they developed as missing. 60% that were recovered were found in foster homes or care homes during FBI raids. DCF has only done 285 assessments on possible human trafficking victims since 2014, and the Kansas Attorney General’s Office reports in 2017 helping 475 trafficking victims of sex and labor. I feel like we may be lagging behind on this fight by more than a little bit. It is time to educate our healthcare system to identify possible victims of human trafficking through out our nation, just as we would and do for chest pain, OB emergencies, stroke, and abuse.

References

Bolden, C. (2018, March 1). Here’s how human trafficking affects Kansas. Retrieved from https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article197925949.html

New Straits Times. (2019, November 30). Human trafficking issue plagues Southeast Asia: New Straits Times. Retrieved from https://www.nst.com.my/world/region/2019/11/543407/human-trafficking-issue-plagues-southeast-asia

2. lvmezavega2 at |

Sex trafficking is a growing issue in the United States. In 2017, there were 9,000 cases in the U.S. which were reported to the National Human Trafficking Hotline and BeFree Textline. This was an increase of 13% from the previous year, according to the Polaris Project (Gallucci, 2020).
    I do not know very much about sex trafficking as it pertains to screening in emergency departments. Working on a medical surgical unit, I have become aware of some cases in which social workers and case managers must get involved due to concerns of sex trafficking. I do know that our inpatient admission only asks a question related to feeling safe at home or if the patient has ever experienced abuse (sexual, verbal, physical) in the last year or so. I have not had anyone give a response that required following up though. I will be starting my new job in a level one trauma emergency department this upcoming week, so it will be interesting to see what screening tools, if any, they use there to identify and assist victims of sex trafficking.
    As for your study, I believe that given that only 27/99 emergency departments that were approached participated, the data could be considered misleading or inconclusive. Given that this study depicts less than 1/3 of the EDs in South Texas, that can really sway the stats. I’d also say that if screening tools are just being modified from adult to child instead of child specific, then that leaves room for error as well. Implementing a nationwide standard screening tool could prove beneficial in identifying victims of sex trafficking more efficiently rather than each facility picking and choosing which, if any, to use.
    Gallucci, J. (2020, January 14). Human Trafficking Is an Epidemic in the U.S. It’s Also Big Business. Retrieved from https://fortune.com/2019/04/14/human-sex-trafficking-us-slavery/

3. ajmurphy4 at |

That is a very interesting article. Sex trafficking is not an area I have given much thought about in nursing. I did find an article that found, “Approximately 18,000 people are brought to the United States each year and are forced or coerced into labor or sex work. Raising awareness and providing information to all healthcare workers may be the first steps needed to end sex trafficking.” (Bauer, 2019) That number alone is startling. The article went on to describe giving education to not only to Emergency room nurses but school nurses as well. Are the screening techniques used in the article you found adaptable to be used by school nurses as well?

Bauer, R. (2019). What Health Providers Should Know About Human Sex Trafficking. MEDSURG Nursing, 28(6), 347–351.

4. kmbartels at |

In an article with Fox 2 News Detroit, Bastein explained that a large majority of trafficked individuals come into contact with health care workers at some point during their trafficking, but shockingly, very few of them are actually identified by healthcare staff (Brusie, 2019.) This subject is such a scary situation. I myself have not been in contact with a situation like this but this article goes on to give nurses a few pointers on how to help identify a sex trafficking situation.

Brusie, C. (2019, January 31). Nurse Practitioner Student Creates Screening To Identify Human Trafficking Victims. Retrieved from https://nurse.org/articles/nurse-creates-human-trafficking-screening/

5. hngonzalez at |

This is a topic that I didn’t think a lot about as it’s something that you know is very real but don’t want to think about it going on. I looked into what signs you should look for if you come across a possible sex trafficking victim. It is important to be aware of different signs that you may see. A couple signs that I wasn’t aware of include:Owe money to an employer or another person whom they feel bound to repay,
    Describe moving or changing jobs suddenly and often,
    Are unfamiliar with the neighborhood where they live or work. These particular ones I didnt think about. This article has a list of signs we should watch out for

Know the Signs. (2020, March 25). Retrieved from https://humantraffickingsearch.org/know-the-signs/