- Find a breaking news story online on a major news outlet (CNN, a national newspaper, ESPN.com). Note the attribution (sources quoted or paraphrased) used in the story.
- How many sources are used?
- What percentage of the story is attributed?
- Now find people writing about the same story on Twitter, Facebook or on a general blog site.
- Does the attribution differ on these posts from the writing for the traditional news outlets?
Post your findings to the class blog site, then examine what others have posted. Be sure to also discuss how attribution is related to the definition of journalism discussed at the start of this chapter. Please check your peers’ posts on the other two activities in this module and leave comments to at least two peers. Please also respond to your peers’ comments on your own post.