5 thoughts on “FT8: Harrell

1. I see why you think the course is confusing, especially with having two different courses on it! I think he does a good job of showing when the two courses with have different instructions.

2. Really good (and candid) feedback — yet again! Trust me, there is no “Swarm Learning” promotion here. If there is, then I am missing out on the cash! Swarm Learning is both a philosophy and a methodology. It’s about seeking continuous feedback from you (the student), making changes, then assessing those changes to adapt the class to finally evolve the class.

I have combined the two classes together because I think it adds value for both classes to see different information and to interact with one another. I used to teach them separately and there was very little interaction in HHP 630 due to its size compared to HHP 340.

I purposely introduce confusion and ambiguity into the class. I think this is something we see in the real world (which you already know), so why not introduce it in a safe learning environment like this?

I will provide recommendations for the essay. However, I don’t want to provide too much because I want you to decide.

What if I created pdf documents and posted the assignment instructions in that way? Would that work? I see that quite a few of you say that you copy and paste the information into Word docs. So I could use Word or pdf. Thoughts?

The reason you do not see previous assignments is because I change every assignment. That’s the logic behind Swarm Learning. Change, Adapt, and Evolve (never teach the same way twice). I 100% use the feedback you all provide to modify every assignment.

I hope that makes sense. Keep the candid feedback coming!

3. Thank you for your response. I discovered your removed past posts when I was searching for an answer to your question about which video did I like. I could not remember the links to the other videos. I will make a point of saving the links in future.

First, try saving your complex adaptive syllabus into a pdf and see how it is reproduced. When I did it, almost every image was just a blur. I do have a current pdf converter program, and Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I could not correct the blur issue. “Copy and paste” into Word worked better for me.

I am confused with the two classes because most of the time I have absolutely no idea what the other class is writing about in their maps.

As for the essay assignment, I’m OK with less rigid requirements and more creativity and observation. I do like that the class evolves based on feedback.

I remain confused about some of the details of Swarm learning. Can Swarm learning only be used in conjunction with Plectica maps?

• I will try one of the assignments in pdf (from Word to pdf). No, Swarm Learning does not have to use Plectica. We will use others. I like Plectica because it gives me a glimpse into how the individual thinks.

Keep the honest feedback coming. I definitely appreciate it. It is extremely valuable.

4. I thought at first that maybe the closeness of your boxes would seem convoluted but since you made them all different colors I actually like to compactness of your map. Well done!