DNP Project II Reflection

Here are a few excerpts from my paper:

Reflecting upon the past four months and starting into the fifth, I realize this project is not just about what I have accomplished.  Projects are a team effort that comes from a person or persons’ plan.  In the end, it is a team effort that leads to a successful and meaningful conclusion.

The DNP competencies have provided me with the understanding of the scientific underpinnings of practice and the profession which are essential to applying the knowledge.  I have never thought too much about different theories and how they pertain to practice.  This project, however, has provided me with the expertise to bridge the theory-practice gap.  Not only has this aided me in this project, it has proven successful in my professional projects.

I feel I have had personal growth as a leader, not only with medical staff and providers, but with other members of the health team that are not visible on the floor.  The relationship I am referring to is the one with other departments such as information technology.  I soon found out that the IT person was going to be my go-to person in order to extract data.  This project has opened my eyes to other departments that are vital to an organizations success.  The IT department was vital for the success of my project

As for how the DNP Essentials were applicable to my project, they have an implication for nursing as a profession, science, and discipline.  Understanding the scientific foundations of both practice and the profession are essential to applying knowledge in patient care and linking the gap between theory and practice.

The DNP program overall has equipped me with more knowledge base and research wisdom in which I had no experience with.  Actually, at the start of this journey, and even at the start of this project proposal this past summer, I was unsure of how to truly research a topic, gather the necessary information, analyze the information, and put it together in order to begin to develop a project.  Implementing my project was terrifying for myself as I was having to educate medical doctors as to why the pneumococcal vaccination is important and why their clinic should implement this project.  But with the information that I researched and the tools I acquired from various websites, I was armed with the knowledge to answer any and all questions, even when challenged.

I would like to continue to grow in my leadership abilities and possibly take that leadership skills outside of my community to other sectors that could have a direct influence on my community as well as other small communities.

I hope this makes sense to you.  Good luck to each of you with your project and the conclusion of our journey.  We are almost at the end!!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!  Enjoy your loved ones.

Starry Night Santa by Dona GelsingerImage result for christmas pictures

3 thoughts on “DNP Project II Reflection”

1. I bet you are ready to be done. As many years as I have been an NP, I think that this program has taught me leadership skills. When an NP takes a job for the first time, it is so easy to just be a “producer.” Things have really changed in the past 15 years, for the better. I appreciate your thoughts on leadership. IT is amazing if you have people that are willing to help. When they do, it makes any project easier and more productive. I have over the past few days had a job opportunity fall in my lap, that sounds like it will allow me to use my leadership skills. I will find out more tomorrow. My husband brought up something yesterday that I had not given any consideration too. “ARNP.”
    New Mexico is “APRN/DNP.” Some places in Ne., they do not allow the NP with a DNP to have on the name tag or be addressed as Dr., even if you introduce yourself as an NP. He is looking into that at the place where he is Academic Chief.
    I got off track from your comments. Your reflection was wonderful. And congratulations to you Paula, for almost being done with your program!
    Kay

1. Leadership is so important in everything that you do, but also as the a practitioner that is going to lead patients in healthcare. I can see how much you have grown in you leadership with this project. I am sure you will continue in this avenue as you grow throughout the remainder of school and in you initiation of practice.