Data Collection: Challenges, Triumphs, Initial Data

In this phase of my project, I don’t have all the data gathered yet.  The last measurement day is November 6 and I hope to collect all the rest of my data at that time. Since the data collection process requires voluntary participation, I am at the mercy of the participants reading the blogs and remembering to appear for the measurements.  My data is a very simple pre and post participation survey.  My biggest concern for the completion of this project is that the number of participants.  While the number of participants for the pre-participation survey wasn’t impressive, I’m even more concerned that the number of participants that will present for the post-participation will be even less.

Challenges:

• The location of the lunch & learn activities required all participants to walk across campus to arrive at the location. They also had to plan ahead and bring their own lunches.
  • This time of year was super busy with activities outside of my program which conflicted with some of our plans and required that we even change dates of certain activities during homecoming week.

Triumphs:

• The participants that did sign up have been VERY invested and energetic.
  • Multiple participants were present at the lunch and learn activities
  • Lots of positive feedback from the participants thus far.

Initial data:

• 27 participants:

Pre-participation survey:

Likert scale ratings from 1-10:

1. I would rate my knowledge of physical activity as it relates to my health as:

Average rating: 6

1. I would rate my knowledge of nutrition as it relates to my health as:

Average rating:  4

1. I would rate my level of physical activity as it relates to my health as:

Average rating: 5

1. Currently, I would rate my nutrition as it relates to my health as:

Average rating: 4

3 thoughts on “Data Collection: Challenges, Triumphs, Initial Data”

1. Your plan is organized. 27 participants for the University, seems fair. Do they get a reminder that you will be gathering for your meeting? I would participate! An easy and interactive way to get healthy!
    Kay

2. Your program is very well organized as is your survey. It is unfortunate that you had conflicting activities. Hopefully the participants that have been invested will be just as invested to complete your project. It is very well put together program and could definitely be implemented in a clinic program.

3. Due to the limited time to implement and complete your project, I feel you were very successful. This project is well structured and your survey was easy to read and understand. I would not be discouraged by the lack of participants. When you write your limitations part of your project paper, you can mention the obstacles that impeded your project. I think you did a terrific job. Well done.