Challenges and Implementation

I did finally submit my project to the FHSU IRB on September 30th. Whew! It had to be in by the 7th of October. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have to change much.  Again, the main challenge to date was waiting on the UNM IRB; and I waited for 7 weeks. That is not necessary to put a student through that. If an organization such as the University IRB in New Mexico felt that they would not sign it because; A: I was no longer an employee with UNM, and B: It was not the right form.  Do you not think they would have told someone! A dysfunctional system. Instead; a very diligent Research Director for the College of Nursing kept putting herself self-out there daily to get this signed. She was always dismissed. There is a learning curve here; 1. Communicate; 2. Be ethical ; 3. Be a role-model to others.  I do feel relief, however; just glad to be moving.

I plan to send the surveys out as soon as I get IRB FHSU approval. I would imagine 2-3 weeks should be enough time to get the reviews back. Survey Monkey, does quantify the information some statistical analysis; however, for in depth-review; it will go to FHSU statistician. I have re-worked the theory (Lewins Change); it has been modified to the survey and the change in the structure of this project. I think it is exciting, I do hope the NPs in New Mexico find it helpful to them, make them feel, and be familiar with the, 2016  guideline from the CDC on Chronic Pain Management with Opioids. Each state seems a little different on how Primary Care manages opioids for their patients.  My focus remains in New Mexico. For the most part, they are very progressive in adhering to the guidelines from the CDC. Thanks to an Attorney General that is on top of this epidemic (Hector Balderas).

The next blog will be more organized as I will actually be putting the project together.

10/3/19  UPDATE:  MY PROJECT IS APPROVED! I received my “Exempt” letter today from FHSU IRB. YAY!!!   Kay

6 thoughts on “Challenges and Implementation”

1. I am glad you FINALLY made it over the IRB hurdle. A person would think it would not be that hard to approve an IRB application for this type of project. Do you feel if you were an employee of UNM they would have approved your application earlier? Would the approval committee informed you that the application was not submitted on the right form? I agree with you, however, that no student should have to go through what you went through. I would say it was a learning experience, that is for sure. Have you heard from FHSU IRB and if it is approved? I would think you have conquered the biggest hurdle ever and everything should be smooth sailing from here on out. Two to three weeks should be a nice time frame to get the results of your survey. Good luck to you.

Hahahaha…..I just read the update….CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

2. I think there would have been a better chance for approval if I would have been an employee. The other thing; they could have let us know about it being in the wrong form. It was one person that was pushing back, for some reason!?
    I did send out my surveys today! I am very excited to see what the responses will be.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Kay

1. Hi Violet
      I was approved the same day that I posted on implementation. I sent the surveys out this past Sunday. The return was fast at first
      as I suspected it would be; now they are trickling in. However, over 80% are Family NPs & adult NPs. This is the group that I did want the most focus with, as they will be the ones managing chronic pain. The State of New Mexico is independent full-scope practice for NPs, so most have their own panel of patients. The biggest response so far has been from rural NPs. I have a reminder email going out today, for those that may have it set in an inbox. Survey Monkey is where this survey was developed. Good information.
      Thanks for your comment,
      Kay

3. Congratulations on the approval of your IRB! I agree with your “learning curve” on communication, practicing ethically, and being a good role model. I’m excited to read your next blog following implementation. I’m glad that you are getting feedback from the NPs. Each state really does seem to handle the guidelines for opioids and so does each provider. It’s been informative to be exposed to each practice and their personal beliefs and their professional opinion on the topic. The CDC really does help provide the guidelines and helps to give providers a reasonable method to approach the topics. I’m enjoying your topic. Congratulations again.

1. Hi Vicki
      Thanks for your comments. I am finding out the barriers that are giving NP’s problems in New Mexico. I have over 150 so far. I may not get more than 160. 1600 were sent out. Some of the emails may not be valid. Some of the NPs may not fill out as they are not FNPs. But, at least there is data. Next time I will be able to tell you what the identified barriers are to using the CDC Guidelines.
      Kay