CM14 Chris Payne

https://www.plectica.com/maps/YK7SKP0KT

Perspective
It is the lens from which we view things.   Event:  A coworker was released from their job. Object:  I get the email from the boss explaining why it happened Description:  I know the boss who sent the email and know the person who was let go from their job.  I have experienced something similar in the past. Inference:  I sympathize with the person who was fired because I think I know what really happened and why that person was let go.
General Semantics
A self-improvement program that was developed by Alfred Korzybski that shines a light on how we think about how we think.  For instance, the map (language, explanation or words) is not the territory (reality).  While it may resemble the territory, it doesn’t represent every possible detail.
HIPAA
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It was enacted by congress to combat waste, fraud and abuse in health care.
1. What is autonomy and how does it apply in healthcare administration?
2. What is HIPAA and why was it enacted?
3. What is the purpose of a PHR?
4. What is General Semantics?
5. What is the process of abstraction or the abstraction process?
6. In DSRP — what is a Perspective? Use the abstraction process to provide your example.
7. Using the process of abstraction within General Semantics — provide an example from the perspective of a healthcare administrator.
Process of Abstraction from Healthcare administrator’s perspective
Event:  Patient dies Object:  Family sues hospital because patient died Description:  Patient was made aware of risks, was non-compliant with prescriptions and behaviors and died while in the hospital Inference:  Inform necessary parties of all information, including documentation of non-compliance and steps taken by the hospital to care for the patient.
Autonomy
The freedom to follow or act according to one’s own will.  This is applicable to healthcare in that a patient has the right to be free from others controlling their decisions reached by their own choice.
PHR
They are useful for storing information about a person’s health online so that anyone who needs access and are given permission to access can check history, prevent accidents and provide continuity of care.
Process of abstraction
The process of concept formation and the recognition of common features.   Event:  Something happens Object:  We experience that thing Description:  We process what happened Inference:  We create meaning for what happened. Recognize we have limits to what we can experience, how we experience it and how we communicate it to those who would receive it. Understand we never stand in the same river twice, in any situation.  Something has always changed. We experience things relative to other people.  We don’t all process things the same way, recognize we don’t have the same experiences or thoughts.

3 thoughts on “CM14 Chris Payne

1. I like the organization of your Plectica map, it didn’t overcrowd the map with your answers and it was easy to read. You did a very thorough job!

2. PHR was one I had a bit of a harder time articulating but yours is concise! Nice map