CM9- Emma Ware

Emma Ware

Plectica Map Attached!: https://www.plectica.com/maps/FO6PE871Y/edit/F6V8596AC

Admin- CM 9, Ch. 6

• What is the sender, receiver, feedback model and how does it apply to you?: This model is a slightly more advanced model of the ‘speaker-listener model’ created by Laswell (& Aristotle). This model accounts for any issues or misunderstandings that may come about from psychological, cognitive and/or contextual factors in communication. Many things can affect how a message is understood, including who sends the message (sender), how the message is sent, the message content and the listeners (receivers). The feedback model requires a sender to examine how they present their message and the entire environment and context in which their message and communication takes place. Without paying attention to these factors, the message receivers may not receive the message with the intended impact it was intended to have.
  • This affects me because I must communicate about various injuries with my patients, coaches and coworkers. If I send out a message that is received in a hostile manner, I can put myself in a situation that can create future conflict. In addition, if I am not careful with how I explain an injury to an athlete, the athlete may not understand their limitations and could hurt themselves further. I have to apply the feedback model to make sure what I am communicating is understood with the right intent.
  • What are examples of barriers to communication in health care?: One of the biggest barriers to communication in health care is the ‘Curse of Knowledge’. For example, if an Athletic Trainer, a physician or another medical professional attempt to speak with a patient using medical terminology and anatomical landmarks, the patient is likely to be confused and concerned because they do not understand their injury or illness. As medical professionals, we cannot expect our patients to know as much as we know, otherwise we will be ‘cursed’ with knowledge.
  • Relationships: Not feeling comfortable speaking with a physician because the patient does not feel like they have an established, functional relationship that allows them to trust the physician with their personal information.
  • Credibility: Loss of credibility can occur if someone cannot make commitments and does not appear competent. If an employee promises to come to work at a certain time and is frequently late, they will lose credibility with their employer.
  • Beliefs: Trying to communicate a thought or idea that you do not believe in can cause issues because it will be hard for others to believe in the idea if you have trouble supporting it due to your own beliefs and values.
  • Interests: If you attempt to convince stakeholders to back an idea or program without showing them what the idea/program can do for them, they are not likely to help. It is important to show how the idea/program can further their own interests and why it would be beneficial for them to become involved.
  • Communication Styles: Make sure to define an issue, and if necessary, reframe the issue! If an issue is not being communicated well or isn’t being well received, it may need to be reframed and explained in a way that communicates with a variety of communication styles.
  • When conducting a stakeholder analysis — or just simply thinking about your stakeholders’ interests in a systematic way — what are three important questions to ask? How do you see these questions being asked in health care? And who are the stakeholders?: 3 Important Questions: 1) Why might it be in the other party’s interests to support my idea? 2) What do other parties want that I can give them to gain their support? 3) Why might they say no?
  • These questions must be asked in healthcare to determine whether the idea can help others understand why the idea can benefit themselves. If an idea can benefit stakeholders, they are more likely to support it. For example, before requiring decreases in nurse salaries, the hospital administration must understand how to help the nurses approve the idea and bargain with them to gain their support.
  • Stakeholders are the audience to your ideas. This person or group of people will be able to provide feedback on your ideas because they will either be indirectly or directly affected by your idea’s implementation.
  • Create a stakeholder map for a health care organization and describe it — similar to the map on p. 173 of your textbook: Map in Plectica
  • This map shows the workings of Bethel College Athletic Training and the stakeholders which are affected by the choices of the athletic trainers and their department. I created a relationship linking ‘Parents of Athletes’ and ‘Athletes’ to one another because the parents are mostly indirectly related to athletic training because of their children who are participating in a collegiate sport.
  • Create a Power-Interest Matrix for a health care organization and describe how you would create one.: Map in Plectica
  • You create a Power-Interest Matrix by taking all stakeholders within an organization into account and ‘ranking’ them in order of high interest in the organization and high power (ability to have an affect on actions within the organization).
  • Describe what a social network is. Use this class as an example. Then create a social network for this class — similar to the one on p. 178 of your textbook.: Map in Plectica
  • A social network is made up of all the connections that a group of people have with the environment in which they live and work. Without a social network, communication would be nearly impossible because this is how information is spread from person to person, whether this is informal conversation or a formal, informative presentation. Our class is a social network because we all comment on each other’s work to help us learn and we provide learning tools through the Facebook group and in our comments to one another.
  • Create a social network for a large health care organization — similar to the one on p. 178 of your textbook.: Map in Plectica
  • Describe what the different communication networks are and provide examples of them.:
  • Chain: Basic hierarchy of communication. Messages flow up and down in a straight line. : Talking to your boss on the phone to inform him that you are sick and unable to come in to work today.
  • Y: People within the network communicate to one superior who then reports to two different superiors. : Medical personnel like an administrative assistant report to the nursing staff when an appointment is made and an individual is coming in for treatment. The nurse will then report to the senior nurse and the doctor with whom the individual has made the appt.
  • Wheel: One individual who is communicating with multiple other people who do not need to communicate with each other. : When changing a scheduled athletic competition, the AD of a school may need to communicate with the coaches, students, athletic trainers and game administration, all of whom do not need to communicate with each other.
  • Circle: Information flows between multiple different people in an informal event or situation. Anyone can talk with anyone else, and there is no regulation of the conversation. : Coworkers may speak to one another in a meeting or throughout the day to spread information, possibly during a friendly conversation between work.
  • All-Channel: This channel is completely free; anyone can talk to anyone else in any form of communication. Team members can speak directly to one another. : This can be any type of communication between coworkers who are relaying information to one another, either in a formal or informal manner.
  • Is strategic communication or leadership simply just manipulation? Define the three: strategic communication — leadership — manipulation. Then discuss your answer.:
  • Strategic Communication: This is a method of communicating with others as a method of reaching certain goals and achievements.
  • Leadership: Leadership is the act of one or a few individuals taking control of a situation and regulating how events and communication strategies progress within the situation. Roles are usually delineated by a group leader.
  • Manipulation: This is a method of using communication or actions to trick someone or forcibly persuade someone into performing an action.

I think strategic communication and leadership are very different from manipulation. Manipulation, to me, indicates that an individual has been coerced (usually not in a pleasant manner) into performing an action or communicating in a certain way. Strategic communication and leadership are different because strategic communication does not force individuals into doing something, it tries to communicate with others in a helpful, non-threatening manner so that the best action can be taken going forward. Depending on the leader, leadership could be considered manipulation, but most leaders are going to have the groups’ best interests in mind and want to find the best option for group problems.

• What is TRIZ and how can you use the tools discussed in this presentation?: TRIZ is a Russian acronym, which in English stands for: ‘Theory of Inventive Problem Solving’. When using TRIZ in real life, I think it will help to think about the two questions discussed in the presentation: ‘What do I want?’ and ‘How can I get all the things I want without changing anything?’ TRIZ can help me in this class and in my career because it will force me to break down my problem and look at it from a standpoint of breaking down different concepts to get the best possible outcome.
  • What is conceptual thinking? And what is the difference between an idea and a concept?: Conceptual thinking involves looking at the generalized idea of a thought and breaking it down into smaller segments to analyze the details. If you look conceptually at an idea, it helps you look at multiple possibilities instead of getting stuck in thinking about only 1 solution.
  • Concept: A concept usually comes before an idea. It is the generalized way of doing something or performing an action.
  • Idea: The idea comes after the concept and involves putting the general concept into practice, usually by adding little details to make the idea more specific.
  • What are the components of a function analysis and a function map?:

Function Analysis: Has Subject-Action-Object relationships, usually limited to 10-15 components.

Function Map: Breaks down large, complicated topics into smaller, more easily understood concepts.

Build a Function Analysis and Function Map for this class (Swarm Learning): Map in Plectica

One thought on “CM9- Emma Ware