CM5 Nathan Dooley

What is a system? Use DSRP to answer this question. What is a part? What is a whole? How can you apply it in health care administration?

A system combines moving parts into a whole that work  together creating a network.  Every section of the healthcare system is a part, and a part is a function or task used in conjunction with other parts to create the whole.  The whole is the general idea or end product of all the parts working together.  For instance with in healthcare we have healthcare providers, and one of those is a physical therapy clinic.  (Such as the one I work at).  The parts of this system are the care coordinaters, technicians, physical therapist assistants, physical therapists, office manager, office manager assistance, and then billing.  Each one is considered a part that makes up the whole as a physical therapy clinic.  This is done for each and every since clinic under the Advanced Physical Therapy name.

What is Measure in DMAIC? How can you apply it in Healthcare Administration?

DMAIC is Defense, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control.  Measure takes a look at current performance statistics, and once the data is collected it is reviewed and revised to enhance overall performance.  When looking at healthcare this is a fantastic tool to utilize since it can pinpoint areas of consern as well as areas of exellence.  This also gives a continuous insite to how the organization is functioning when training new people and developing or improving protocal for different types of individuals.

What are three common myths or misconceptions about innovation?

1.) Innovation equals good
This is not always the case.  The common thought to this is that innovation is beneficial for everyone.   Some of the work of innovation can be harmful.  Example: SARMS (“Healthier version to steriods.”)  these substances are not out of human trials and are used for different purposes than what scientists had the intended purpose for.
2.) There is a step by step instruction for innovation.
Innovation is more commonly messy, and quite complex with many moving parts to make up the whole of innovation.
3.) Innovation is linear.
This is not the case, as time marches forward many things charge which completely keeps innovation non-linear.

What is complexity? What is a complex system? Provide examples of a complex system.

Complexity is the sum of many moving parts woven together that produce a whole that otherwise would not be possible if each part was left alone.
A complex system would be crop rotation in farming.  You need to keep track of what is planted in each feild and when to perform certain tasks such as spraying or plowing.  Another would be district school system which has many parts with parents, students, faculty, teachers, district board.

How are complexity and feedback related? What is a reinforcing feedback loop vs a balancing feedback loop?

Feedback loops are what drive dynamic complexity.   These feedback looks are results of an antion  taken with in the system.  The results are then interpreted to create more action that will either help grow or simplify the system.  An example would be how the Doctor’s are able ot pass off a script for physical therapy to the care coordinator on the spot since the physical therapist performs all the treatment at the same office.   For the balancing feedback loop this just counteracts what is happening with in that system.  So lets say the physical therapist gets a referral, but the patient has Blue Cross Blue Sheild for insurance and the therapist is not registered with that insurance yet.  This would effect the patient getting physical therapy else where and in term the system has loss the potential part to make up a whole.

What does organizational learning mean? How can organizations promote this? 

Organizational learning is the process of teaching a concept throughout or across the organization.   This is developing a set of training or protocal to follow when certain events or tasks need to be taken place with in the organization across multiple parts.  This is like our training of new hires for a technician postition or care coordinater postion.  There are informational videos and practice times, but then it goes straight into hands on learning with the help from hire ups or seniority employees to help teach the concepts.

What is double-loop learning? What is the OODA Loop? Provide examples of how you can use it in health care administration.

Double-loop learning is more complex when dealing with problems.  It is considere complex learning and is used in problem solving situations.  This goes about changing the organizations structure to something that might eliminate the problem or  lessen it.

OODA is often seen in military settings and stands for observe, orient, decide, and act.  This is something I am found of, and have used a number of times when working.  This is sort of like a guess and check loop that makes you act quickly and continuously go through the cycle until the problem has been solved.  An example of this in healthcare is when a patient comes in for PT and they have a blood pressure very low, we must observe the situation, orient ourselves, decide the best course of action, then act upon it.  Which is normally calling EMT or just getting that individual to the ER.

What is the difference between single-loop learning and double-loop learning? How are they related to adaptive learning and generative learning?

Single-loop learning can be seen as a quick correction to a problem with in an organization.   It may not last forever but for the time being it is functional and keeps the organization moving.  This makes the workers adjust a certain task or way of doing things to accommodate the change in organization.  Double-loop learning is the second step which changes the structure of the organization in order to eliminate the problems.  This is considered generative learning and lasts long term.

From what you have seen so far, how does this (adaptive and generative learning — as well as single and double-loop learning) relate to Swarm Learning?

Swarm learning has adaptive processes that allowsimplistic and complex learning.  This is all unique to the individual and can be adapted to that person’s style of learning.  Swarm learning gives us multiple perspectives to broaden our minds as well as fill in some gaps that we other wise do not realize are there.  Feedback from classmates as well as the professor gives options of single-loop, or double-loop learning depending of the situation and how well it can be adapted.

What is emergence? Why is important? Provide examples.

Emergence is the process of coming into being.  It brings light to individual parts of a large system that work together to bring about the whole.  Emergence helps us understand the detailed parts of a whole and how complex they are to develop the end product.  Examples of this would be Hurricanes, flocks of birds, the slime mold.

https://www.plectica.com/maps/MA79MKB5B

6 thoughts on “CM5 Nathan Dooley

1. I had never heard of the OODA loop before. That is neat that it is something you already use at your job so you are familiar with the concept. Great map this week. I like that you didn’t use any lines to associate items to one another and kept it flowing by placing everything in a circle. Your Tableau dashboard is very cool. Were you able to create that with your student account, or is that something you use at work? I couldn’t get my student account to work so I had to pull one from work!

1. I used the student account through Tableau, I am not very comfortable with the site or software quite yet. I hope to figure it out soon and maybe implement some of what I find with it into the PT clinc that I work. OODA becomes second nature when you are put in situations where it is needed.

2. Nathan,
    I really like your Tableau dashboard! I was not sure what to make mine about since I don’t really use it in my workplace, so I made sure that I followed the directions on the assignment video to get a feel for what Tableau really is.
    Your answers to the questions posed for this assignment are really good! I liked your explanation of OODA, because I haven’t really seen much of that in my workplace, and knowing that it is actually used in administrative care is encouraging to know that we learning concepts that are applicable!
    Great job!

3. Hi Nathan,

I like your Tableau Dashboard! It is all new to me other than seeing our Grades Dashboard. I have to explore it further. It is good to see hw others use it.

Best Regards,
    Josefina