FM4: Stephanie Flores

1. What did you think of the Syllabus? Was it helpful?

I thought the syllabus was not straightforward at first, and I blamed it on my being a visual learner. However, after rereading I gained more and more understanding. I knew this class would provide a challenge that I am not too used to, but I could not yet pin point what it was that provided this feeling that I was not accustomed to. I was intimidated that I may not figure it out, but as soon as I watched the first “How-To” video I gave a sigh of relief because that is what helped me connect it all together and ultimately understand what was expected of me. Now, I still reference the syllabus to ensure I am on track, and clicking the right references for that week. It is a helpful resource at this point.

1. What did you think of the Textbook? Recommended Reading/Books? Were they helpful?

The textbook is informative in the sense that you can delineate the history of organization and administration, and you can see how it has evolved over time. It provides an appreciation for the field in leadership and management, which I learned are not the same but go hand in hand. Equally as important, they elaborate on the intricacies, which do not always feel relevant or necessary but I remain confident that the understanding provides a useful foundation. Recommended readings and the text so far are compelling, and so dense with interesting facts. They have been helpful in providing a background that I had not been exposed to previously!

1. What did you think of the How-To Videos? Were they helpful?

The How-To videos were life-saving for me. I feel much gratitude as these provide me with a visual understanding along with the audio which make it easier for me to follow. When it seems vague at first as I am looking over the assignment, I have had my questions answered without fail after watching the videos.

1. What do you think of Plectica?

The very first notion I had of this site is that it seemed tedious, and I had not gotten the point until I started getting a “hands-on” experience with it. As you work through it and put your thoughts together, it allows me to not only fine tune my end result, but even focus my mind on where I wanted to go with it. Given, my indecisive personality, Plectica has provided me with the ability to just get started and lose the feelings of “writer’s block” per say and not be worried about the outcome! As we move along in this class I see Plectica as a home base when things get more complex. It’s a very useful resource to lay thoughts out.

1. What are your expectations for Tableau?

I have downloaded Tableu on my laptop and my phone. However, my expectations are that it will take getting used to before I can grow fond of it as I feel I still do not know what I am looking at, but I remember the statement Dr. Schwardt made about it being helpful in the workforce and for businesses.

1. What do you think of Rationaleonline.com?

I appreciate the value of what rationale has to offer in terms of organization, structure, and presentation. However, I was unable to use it or experience it as I had the free, limited version. I feel it has much promise and can be a successful tool for people who need to organize a presentation.

1. Did you use Thinkquiry? If so, was it helpful?

I have not exercised Thinkquiry yet, but I want to challenge myself to do so as it allows one to think more critically about things and dive deeper in my own understanding. I cannot deny the asset there is in thinking about what is not apparent rather than what comes more easily to someone. Thinking beyond is something I personally need to improve on, and I intend to use this tool to do so.

1. What do you think of ST v2.0 (DSRP)?

I feel that systems thinking is a phenomenal concept that allows us to not only think more critically but get used to thinking outside the box as well. When learning about systems thinking I was introduced to thinking about how our brain creates mental models based on our experiences. It makes sense that our perspectives differ and when working together it adds value when compiling our ideas.

1. What do you think of the new concepts introduced?

Every concept that has been introduced has provided a new dynamic understanding for me, and even makes me proud to know concepts that I would otherwise not have become familiar with. These concepts can be applied to any field, but I keep thinking about the Program Manager positions and how these help in a practical and effective way in this position.

1. What are your thoughts on Lean Six Sigma? Is it a career path that you would be interested in pursuing?

Yes! Lean Six Sigma allows a team to work on a project more effectively and efficiently by “removing the waste” or unnecessary things they would otherwise spend time on. I personally would be very interested in pursuing this career path as I am aware of the impact this can have on a workplace or in any field. I can imagine the level of confidence any Master Black Belt has in knowing how trusted they are to help a company make needed progress and improvements. The knowledge it entails is enticing!

1. What did you think of the Pyramid Principle?

The pyramid principle helps one figure out his or her own ideas through inductive or deductive reasoning. This I feel depends on the information one starts with and the end goal one wants to reach. This tool is helpful in answering questions and gain clarity in an organized way, and clear visual.

1. What do you think of Knowledge Transfer? It is very useful, and allows progress in the sense that the tools and necessary knowledge are carried over.
  2. What are your initial thoughts on Swarm Learning?

Swarm Learning makes you think! It is nonconventional, but it is a great thing. Instead of just being fed information, we are practical with the information and put it into action. The approach allows us to truly think critically and learn effectively. Since it is new to me, it still does not come naturally, but I am appreciating the practice of truly embracing a new way of learning. This is a way I feel that should be done more in schools as to provide more active learning rather than passive learning. I feel this generation just gets fed information through the screens we stare at daily, but I am not sure we are really taking in the information for long term.

1. What did you think of the Barriers to Learning?

I liked how the presentation took us step by step and provided examples to illustrate this concept. I feel lack of motivation to learn something can not only be influenced by someone’s past and environment, but it takes the desire to learn. I liked how it all comes down to just starting somewhere when something seems all over the place, and then going from there.

1. What did you think of the Stable Datum?

Stable Datum is not only a cool phrase to say, but I appreciate that it is a focal point to help us start somewhere when tackling a challenge. When hearing the professor mention “go back to what we know,” I not only thought of the R&B singer, Ne-Yo. whose lyrics are those words verbatim, followed by “go back to where you know your heart is.”  I was given some peace of mind to be reminded that all it is, is to start with what you already know and understand in order to expand on that knowledge. I liked the examples that show how our exposure and knowledge thus far are what make it possible to continue learning new things.

1. What did you think of the first assignment (CM1)?

CM1 was a good introductory assignment that allowed us to shake off our nerves and hesitation as we took in the syllabus. Since these were combined, CM1 felt like practice to me as I played around with Plectica, replaying the How-To video and making sure I followed every step mentioned. In the end, it felt like it was a simple assignment that I could not have completed without the video.

1. What did you think of CM2?

CM2 felt like I built off of the first one with new knowledge to expand to. I like the introduction of waypoints and how it allows for a presentation that one can navigate more easily and in order rather than panning over the whole map, guessing what was next.

1. What did you think of EM3? And do you plan on writing a blog? Why or why not? What else can I do to convince you to write a blog?

EM3 took me a little while to decide on as they are all interesting topics, but I found biomimicry to be the most intriguing at the moment. I am writing a blog! It allows for more creativity and even a more enjoyable reading experience than a regular essay.

1. Does it help knowing that students from this class (and others) have published blogs?

It does help knowing that others have published blogs because it means others have experienced this class journey as well, and at the very least one can be reassured that there is no wrong way to do it.

1. What do you think of this assignment (FM4)? What are your thoughts on students providing feedback that can change a class in progress? Have you ever been asked this from an instructor before (throughout the class, not just at the end)?

I think FM4 is lengthy, but not repetitive which is a good thing! It allows me to go back and remember what we’ve gone over so far, and reassures me that I am more knowledgeable than when I started. Students providing feedback is useful because the professor can get an insight on how they are taking these assignments, and whether the goals he has for us are being met. I have never been asked for class feedback as the class is in session. It is usually at the end of the term, when they ask for feedback on their own performance and the content, which is done anonymously. However, this type of feedback survey I assume reflects how they work and informs the university. The one negative experience I had with this was when filling out the information in the map, as it would lag and I’d have to refresh often in order to continue.

1. What are your thoughts on the extra credit opportunities (e.g. blog, Facebook, first to post)?

I feel the extra credit opportunities are something to be appreciated as this is very rare in college. To me it also shows the understanding that life happens, and these opportunities are ways to make up for it if need be, although absolutely not ideal. It also is an opportunity for people to show their investment in this class as well!

1. Are you a member of the Facebook group? If no, why not?

I am a member of the Facebook group because I acknowledge how helpful it is to have a forum where some people may have the same questions or issues that might have already been resolved.

1. Do you think the Facebook group is useful? Why or why not?

It is truly useful. This is a place where ideas are shared, and students can help each other as intended. It serves as a networking platform, but in the class helps us all bounce ideas off and help each other as well.

1. What do you think of the WordPress Learning Community? Is it better than Blackboard? Why or why not?

I feel the WordPress Learning Community is dynamic and way more useful than Blackboard because you can have more features and information in one organized place. Things are easier to find. Whereas, blackboard feels like just a couple useful “Folders” where professors have to somehow compile everything in a way that makes sense, but it seems to limit them in this way as well.

1. Take me through your thoughts and emotions as you started this course… where are you now?

I lacked confidence as there was some confusion at the beginning, but I have grown more and more appreciative of this learning style and class set-up. The information and resources we need to complete the assignments have all been there and have answered any questions that have come up for me. I know feel excited about the challenges that come up on a weekly basis, and enjoy knowing more each time we get through a new assignment.

1. What are your thoughts of the instructor using Tableau to grade and sharing the Student Dashboard?

I feel it is fine, as we can see where we stand. I am unsure what the total of points are, or that should be had at this point. However, I can at least see if I am behind or not. It is also motivating to continue to keep up and make progress.

1. What are your expectations moving forward?

Moving forward I know I will still be challenged, which is a good thing. I keep getting a sense that I am gaining Project managing skills which I hope to flaunt in interviews within reason as I know this is no course for certification. I like feeling that I am getting technologically adept with each platform we’ve been introduced to and I expect this to continue and become strengthened.

1. What would you like to see change?

I cannot think of something to change because I am enjoying the dynamic, as well as the interactions and teaching style.

1. What is one thing you love? I almost thought this question asked me in general and not just about the class so I’ll do both! I love how informative the How-To videos are, which I feel make all assignments possible. I also love cookies and cream ice cream.
  2. What is one thing you hate? Same deal here! I do not hate anything in this class. I hate disingenuousness.
  3. What can the instructor do immediately to make the class better?

I have no concerns thus far, so I feel all is good. The professor is very attentive and responsive to our class.

2 thoughts on “FM4: Stephanie Flores

1. Stephanie – this is outstanding feedback! There were so many remarks that I thoroughly enjoyed. However, this one stands out the most:

“Moving forward I know I will still be challenged, which is a good thing. I keep getting a sense that I am gaining Project managing skills which I hope to flaunt in interviews within reason as I know this is no course for certification. I like feeling that I am getting technologically adept with each platform we’ve been introduced to and I expect this to continue and become strengthened.”

This is the underlying principle driving my method!