10 Comments

1. Hello,

I’m interested in studying quorum sensing for two reasons. The first is that I enjoy seeing how different proteins can interact within a bacteria cell to accomplish different tasks. The second reason is that many antibiotics such as penicillin are losing their effectiveness, so finding a new target for modern day man-made antibiotics is essential to fight current and future infections.

1. Thank you for your reply. My mother worked as a nurse prior to the mass production of penicillin, and had some horrific stories. It is worrisome that antibiotic resistance could result in similar challenges.

2. Kade, this is your State Senator, Kristen O’Shea. Great job on your graphics, and presentation. I appreciate how this research and information will help serve Kansans. Keep up the great work!
    -Kristen O’Shea

3. Hello Senator O’ Shea,

Thanks for taking a look! I’m just happy to be taking part in a project much bigger than myself.

1. Hello,

First, I would tell them that getting involved in research is a great idea as it helps bridge the gap between theory and practice. As far as advice, I would tell them to just interact with professors of not only their courses, but perhaps others in the department as well. Even just shooting them an email asking to meet goes a long ways. Also, for those that have just begun conducting research with a grad student or professor, I would say not to be too hard on yourself. I personally struggled with this at first as I didn’t understand everything that was going on which is completely fine, it is unreasonable to expect your understanding of the material to be at the same level as a grad student/ professor when you have just begun. Lastly, I feel like developing relationships with the members of your research team is very beneficial as they can help you later after graduation or even with some of your classes.