1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome, Valerie! Love the picture; my daughter rides a horse named Mako and we love all things horses in our house!

24/7 visitation is definitely supported in the literature, but often becomes troublesome for the reasons you mentioned. In our unit, we also found it difficult to have extended time to provide needed patient cares like the in-depth assessment of the critical patient, bathing, mobility, etc. In addition, the patients with increased ICP precautions needed decreased stimulation.

My question is, does it have to be 24/7 or limited? Why is there not another creative option? Maybe your unit could come up with a new strategy where patient/staff safety isn’t compromised and patients have the support systems available when needed on an unlimited basis. Use the literature to help create your answer!

2. Tammy Smith at |

I love that you are part of a team that looks for ways to improve care using evidence-based research. Working in a fairly small facility myself I often feel like I’m out on my own looking for ways to improve. It also provides you with a wonderful opportunity to do additional research.

I admire your ambition to continue on for your CRNA. That is both exciting and challenging. I look forward to learning from you and your experiences as they are far different from my own.