Introduction

Hello everyone,

My name is Trisha Divine.  I graduated with my ADN in 2001.  I have worked as a floor nurse in Labor and Delivery and  Med/Surg, but most of my 19 years have been spent in PeriAnesthesia.  I worked many years as a staff nurse then charge nurse and now the manager for the last six years.

As the manager of a department I use research and best practice daily.  I frequently use AORN and ASPAN for our day to day process and procedures.  We utilizes the standard from these sources of truth to safely care for patients daily.  The standards also help ensure that nurses are cared for and that they are working in a safe manner, such as not taking more than 2 days of call in a row, or ensuring that a nurse has at least 8 hours off in between working. All policies written are cited by a source of truth as well.

I look forward to learning more throughout this semester.

3 Responses

1. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Trisha! Be sure to go back and categorize your post under introduction module 1. This is essential to practice now before we start the other assignments.

Using specialty organizations to guide practice is a great way to utilize the evidence!

2. vmfearn at |

Hi Trish,
    I think it’s great that, as a manager, you are looking out for the wellbeing of your staff! A lot of managers don’t. I frequently hear the on-call complaint from my nursing friends in PACU. Our hospital doesn’t have a policy mandating hours off in between shifts when they are on-call. There have been times where a nurse has been on-call for the night shift, gets called in from 11pm-3am for an emergency case, goes home, and then is expected to show up at 7am for her regularly scheduled shift! Like you mentioned, your policies have a backup “source of truth” via scholarly research articles. I look forward to working with you.

3. mrsmith23 at |

Hi Trisha. After reading your reply on my post I was curious about you, so I read your introduction. You sound a lot like me. We both have been nurses for quite some time and we both spent time on med/surg and OB in the beginning of our careers, then found our love for peri-anesthesia nursing. ASPAN is our “bible” as well. I look forward to being in this class with you and learning from you!