Introduction – Tammy Smith

My name is Tammy Smith and I live in Halstead, KS. I have been an RN for 10 years and for the last 7 ½ years I’ve been working at an inpatient drug and alcohol treatment center. I have been the Director of Nursing for the last 4 ½ years. I love my job and encounter people from all walks of life with a wide variety of physical and mental health issues in addition to their struggles with addiction.

I have always been someone who questions how things are done and if there is a better or more efficient way of doing things. The field of addiction treatment is evolving quickly and what was best practice just five years ago is no longer. I have found the information I gain from research helps me to educate my staff, my patients, as well as the counselors I work with. I take pride in the fact I initiated a major change in the way nursing staff conducts alcohol withdrawal assessments. I questioned the format we used, did some research on my own when I didn’t get any clear answers, and provided several examples to my company about how the suggested change is best practice. The initial resistance to change only encouraged me to investigate it further. I believe this course will help me to improve my research skills so I am better equipped to continue to improve the care provided to my patients.

1. allindsay at |

Your job plays an amazing role for so many people. Addiction is something that so many people deal with, both publicly and privately. For some knowing that there is somewhere to go and someone that cares is the only thing that keeps them going from day to day. I love that you took it upon yourself to research and initiate new practices in your company for the better of patients. That is truly awesome, keep up the good work!

2. cdgabel at |

It is great that you are continually finding ways to better your practices within the treatment of addiction and that you can pitch these ideas to your company! Addiction is something that many people suffer from and continued research is key to better and safer practices. Working with patients with an addiction takes special people and I think it is awesome to have nurses like you!

3. Katie Gabel (Instructor) at |

Welcome to the course, Tammy! Resistance to change from stakeholders can be an expected barrier, but the research is your greatest support when advocating for your patients and staff. Great job!

4. mrsmith23 at |

Hi Tammy. You have a very interesting and rewarding job. Kuddos to you for identifying a problem, researching it, and finding a better process. I love to do that as well.

5. tmpetersondivine at |

Hi Tammy,

Good to meet you! I live in Halstead as well. I would think that he field of nursing you work in is both rewarding and difficult. Addiction is so prevalent these days.

6. jbonilla at |

Hello Tammy,
    It’s great to hear that although you did encounter some resistance from the company that it still ignited your desire to investigate further. Not everyone is up for the challenge. Change can be hard, but there is always room for improvement.