Blog 2-Beat Description

As a lover of all things nature, I have decided to do my beat over the environment. I considered doing a political beat but after looking over some posts from my fellow classmates, I decided to go with environmental topics.

• What is the nature of your beat?
    • The nature of my beat will be the environmental side of Kansas.
  • What are the boundaries of your beat?
    • My boundaries will range from environmental issues in Kansas, to way that Kansas is helping the environment (recycling programs, transportation throughout cities, etc.)
  • What does your editor expect from you?
    • An easy to read article informing people of the environment and what they can do to help, along with proper grammar and spelling.
  • How will you handle overlap with your beats?
    • I will speak with the person in which my beat is overlapping to make sure we are not doing the exact same article. Possibly ask for an interview.
  • Routine Responsibilities?
    • I will routinely check meetings and press conferences held by Kansas officials to see if there are any regarding our ecosystem.
  • Which regular meetings will you always cover?
    • It is hard to tell which meetings will have anything to do with what is happening to fix our environment, but I will always at least check in with these meetings to see if there is anything.
  • Any live blogs or social media?
    • For this beat, other blogs and social media could be helpful, but as always I need to make sure I am not running into any biased information.
  • what public and private institutions fall in your beat?
    • I am not entirely sure, but I assume any recycling businesses and environmental research labs in Kansas fall under my beat.
  • What topics and issues fall in your beat?
    • Recycling, global warming, pollution, soil quality, farming/ranching
  • Where are the regular meetings or other events you need to frequent?
    • I am also unsure of this, but I assume town meetings would be helpful to monitor in case they cover any topics about the city’s recycling/public transportation.
  • Who are the officials you need to visit frequently?
    • I am sure the city commissioner would always have helpful information, so I would frequently visit them.

I am very excited to start covering these topics!